Red This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red-bound book
lies open
ink spills onto the white page
turning it red,
like the bird pictured upon it,
the bird,
thought to be cardinal
struggles to displace the ink
from its paper wings,
slowly made soggy
by ink so red.
It dares the bird:
“fly away, fly away from here,
from me
from this page.
And I'll laugh when
you fail,
wings of mere paper,
what bird are you now?”
paper wings
lay limp against page
pinned down
by failure so

red.

ShahrierThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 10 at 6:57 pm:
is the red kinda like when a teacher marks your paper wrong with red ink or... why red? im curious.

Anna141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 12:37 pm :
Kind of, I wrote the poem about blind hope, how the bird never gives up trying to fly away even though it knows that it can never displace the ink from its wings. For me the ink just represented the opressor, and was not a concrete thing. But I like the way you said that the ink was like getting a bad grade on a paper, it does feel that way when you get back an essay some times and all over it is scribbled little red marks by your teacher. I like how to two people a poem can mean two totally dif... (more »)

ShahrierThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 7:02 pm :
i definately noticed the opression, but red was such a prominent symbol throughout your work, it had me thinking. why red? it was really good, and i think if my teacher were too see this, i think she would have said that its amazing how it gets you thinking.

Scolecite said...
Look at all that crimson imagery. It looks like you red my mind, because this poem blue up my face. All in all, I'm glad I found myself marooned in your page.