The Very Existence of Time

Something we cherish
We count it in intervals
Of 60
Seconds
Minutes
Milliseconds
And so on.

Do we really know
The meaning of time
To count the very thread
Of our being and lives.
It unwinds forever,
Starting at the beginning
Where no one has been
At a time where nothing
Existed.

Can 10 years really be so long
Compared to the existence of the universe
So big and expanding
Where we only know so much
But is never enough.

What if time never really started,
Could it really stop?
If earth does not exist,
Does time still?

If we do not count it
Acknowledge it
Study it
Does it exist?

Only in the minds of those who truly understand
Are questions not only statements
But answers too,
Time is nothing
Compared to everything
Is anything what you really think it is?

DawnieRae said...
today at 1:03 pm:
This really made me think. It is awesome! If the world ceases to exsist will tome still exsist? Great poem!

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 6:25 pm :
Thanks! I love making people think

RolledthestoneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 25 at 3:16 pm:
Ah. This reminds me of the Theory of Relativity where things only exist relative to other things. So like relative to humans, the world did not exist before us because we were not there to witness it. Anywho, very philosophical poem which (in my biased opinion) are the best. When you said "to count the very thread" I got an interesting picture of time as a ball of thread constantly unraveling and we just don't know how big it is of when it's going to run out. Great job!

Jun. 25 at 6:34 pm :
I appreciate your symbolism in your response, and imagery, honestly that's the best way for me to understand people. I also understand what you mean by philosophical poetry, that type seems to be the stuff that really sticks in the minds of others.