My American Dream | Teen Ink

My American Dream

September 30, 2012
By Believer17 SILVER, River Rouge, Michigan
Believer17 SILVER, River Rouge, Michigan
9 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Well first of all, we all have our own version of “The American Dream.” It could be to become a doctor, a fashion designer, or an architect. Do you want to hear my american dream? I’ll tell you. my american dream is to become the one of the best professional dancers I could possibly be. I want to tell you something about this. People think it is glitz and glamour. It isn’t all the way true. There is time, passion, blood, sweat and tears. Your body hates you, but at the end of the day when you see what you have just pulled off and the work you did that day, it is all worth it. Yes that is the glitz and glamour part about it. It still isn’t about that. The feel of it. There is a history behind every step and I want that. I want to be able to change the world with what I do and I don’t think there is a problem with that. I want people to look up to me. I can tell my stories to the world with this. Dance is magic. An evolution.
Some people don’t know what it is like. Being a dancer. Being blessed with a God given talent means something much more. You are part of a community, a town, a city a state, a country, a suburb. You are a part of something bigger than yourself. Dancers change the way we see certain things. They make us see certain aspects of life. How people can come to look at a homeless person on the streets a different way. People going without food, feeling abandoned. And the big one SUICIDE. Dance brings out so many things we don’t look at. Everything is a story waiting to be told. Dancing is a whole other beautiful world that I would never not want to not be a part of. To me dancing saves people. It saved me.

I thought I was in this bad place. I used to think I wasn’t good enough. I felt like I could never be the person I wanted. I felt like I had to put this wall up and be serious. I thought I was losing myself. I felt like I was in this hole and I couldn’t dig myself out of it. I thought my heart was breaking into a million and I couldn’t pick it up and put it back together. All the pressure to be great and I felt like I wasn’t taking time out to find out who I was. I thought I was losing my mind, my sanity. I was starting to forget that I had something I had been holding on to. I was fighting with myself day in and day out. Morning to night. I didn’t think I was good enough for anything or anyone. But I found out I was good enough for something.

Dancing helped me remember how to smile and to laugh and to be myself. Right now I’m the person I was before. This crazy girl who does nothing but dance, laugh, and smile like there is no tomorrow. It’s a great feeling to know this is something I came out of and I had dance to help me out. Looking up to my admires such as Laurieann Gibson, Travis Wall , Michael Jackson, Kenny Wormald. There are so many. They show the hardships. In this crazy way they speak to me. I wake up smiling because I have something to hope for. I know I can make a future in this. I know I can make a life for myself in this. I will dance.
So this is My American Dream. We have them. I know we can reach them. Every single one of us can do it. You have to believe. You have to want it. And you have to fight for it. What you like and what you do makes you who you are. No matter what people tell you . Share what and who you are to the world. I shared with you My American Dream. Dance is who I am, not what I do. Now the question is, What is your American Dream?


The author's comments:
We all have something to hold on to. We might not know, but it is there. We have something that helps us wake up in the morning, other than family. The true American Dream. Our own American Dream. You have one so tell it. Share it