What I Missed | Teen Ink

What I Missed

By tico003 BRONZE, Surprise, Arizona
tico003 BRONZE, Surprise, Arizona

It's never too late to be who you might have been.

I remember your smile, your face, your voice, the way you’d call my name like it meant everything to you. I remember the way your face used to light up whenever you’d see me, the way your sparkling eyes called me in. I didn't know why you were always so happy around me; I didn't know what I was feeling or how I should act or what I should do. I just always seemed to be drawn to you. I didn’t know if it was love, but then again, I didn’t even know myself. I was lost in my imagination, in my naivety, in my foolishness and far off dreams. Now I see who I am, but it’s too late. Things have changed without me even realizing it. I lost something that I didn’t even know I had: you. You knew who I was the whole time; the illusion I put on didn’t even fool you. You saw straight into my soul, and now I see what I’ve lost: you. I missed my chance, but I hope you still remember me. I hope memories of my still haunt you at night. I hope I won’t be forgotten, for I haven’t forgotten you. You knew who I was when I didn’t even know. You’re my one regret, you’re what I missed.

This piece was inspired by my regret of not telling a friend of mine how I felt when I moved away. Now I always think that maybe we could have been more than friends had I said something, but I never did and never will be able to. I wrote this to share my feelings, and to get out all the emotions I keep inside.