La Belle au Bois dormant This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In the dampness of summer heat
we bounce on that trampoline
in our own secret garden, where the hedges and weeds and sunflowers
are overgrown
look at us,
we are beautiful
we are young
we are alive
we are untouchable
There are memories
when you see time pass by and flow like syrup
we danced through life
do you remember?
We thought we were Sleeping Beauty
guarded by a dragon
saved by a prince.
Childhood is lemonade stands on your block
and Mickey Mouse pancakes and seesaws,
sandcastles
and believing in fairy tales
do you remember
how our mothers found us sleeping on your couch one afternoon
really thinking that princes would come
to wake us up
and we would marry them and dance on clouds and our dresses would change
from pink to blue and back to pink again
well, now we don’t believe anymore
in fairy tales or each other
life woke us up one day, not a prince
it got through the thorns around our castle, the ones that shielded us from reality
when it did
you were you and I was me
and neither one of us
was Sleeping Beauty

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The childish innocence at the beginning reminds me of how you grow up thinking fairy tales do exists. Then the bitter ending of your poem is when we grow up realizing Love is a game with no rules: fairy tales are just that...fairy tales. Not real life. The emotion is priceless as well as the imagery. 

Emin3mAC said...
I love the sudden emotion change. How you go from remembering fairytales to having reality come. Well done! 

AriShineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is absolutely beautiful. Great details and imagery, and the ending was simply phenomenal. LOVE. Keep writing!

Seelix said...
This is so good. You really wrote about something everyone can relate to in a very memorable and different way. I love that you linked childhood with fairy tales, it really does seem like that sometimes. Nice!

Laxmaddy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:19 pm:
I've written something like this before, trying to remember what it was like to be a kid. All I found were lost feelings and a realization that when you're young and innocent, the world is a big fairytale story, until, at some point, reality closes the book. The whole thing was wonderful, and you've done a fantastic job comparing then versus now in your writing. Keep up the good work.

Let-Love-In said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm:
I am in love with this. It is so true, its sad how we can't believe in any of that anymore, because now reality has hit us and there is no turning back. But this was beautifully written, it has officially been added to my favorites :)

gleek1234 said...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 11:54 am:
This is a really good poem and just what i needed

ashbash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
congratulations, you are incredible. so many times when i was reading this i thought 'sounds like me, that used to be me'. this really really spoke to me. reality is harsh thing, and poetry (in my opinion) is the best way out because we all need a break sometimes. great job on this, gonna look at some of your other work. five stars

muna.najihah said...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 11:53 am:

i love how you make the intro, create the mood to read. so, i wish you congrats on making it into the mag.

Please check out my piece of work to and comment/rate it whenever you are free

publicdomain said...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 11:20 am:
Great job congrats on getting in the mag

NadimAzar said...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 11:20 am:
Very well written.. I really liked this poem.I would appreciate that you check my poem and leave a comment..Keep up the good work! :)

Blah_blah_blah said...
This poem is amazing!  One of my favorites so far :)

Dancing2222 said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm:
I love this poem sooooo much! Probably my favorite on teen ink (and I'm on here almost everyday). Fantastic job! Can't wait to see more:) 

Afanen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm:
This is really truly wonderful. Fantastic job!

Cinder said...
May 31, 2011 at 11:33 pm:
This is amazing. I wouldn't have replaced a single word. It almost made me cry with happiness :)

GothChik95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 31, 2011 at 5:18 pm:
this was a really good description of growing up. it really reminds me of how time flies by and the next thing we know, we're practically grown-ups. really good job!

dancergurl22 said...
May 20, 2011 at 7:51 am:
i loved EVERY WORD! :-)

samiikay said...
May 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
this is amazing. i absolutley adore it. (:

Charlotta L. said...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 10:51 am:
Very good. beautiful imagery.

Destinymarina said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:34 pm:
This is amazing!