A Recited Truth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the controversial culture for which it stands
One nation, under whatever deity you choose,
Indivisible since 1965,
With liberty and justice for all who can afford a decent lawyer.

angel28 said...
Your poem was funny, but after thinking about it, I was a little offended. . . Nothing in this world is going to be perfect. But what's even more sad than that is people who can't deal with that fact. Many people sacrificed their lives for this country. It's ignorant to make fun of what they died for.

NDNQT said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 7:30 pm:
I really like this poem:) It's true this county isn't as perfect as everyone is lead to believe.Just watch the news.Even our leaders are making alot of mistakes, but I have to say that it is better than some other counties.

mstampfler said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm:
I really dig this, so true. And I like your name, I have the same one :]

Meagan said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 1:25 am:
Ha! I myself refuse to say the pledge. Not because of religious purposes like many reading this are going to jump to believe (And no, I'm not religious either way.) but because I was taught to say it as a requirement. Never once did I learn it's meaning and that's really what it's all about to me.
At my school we're supposed to say it every Monday and what gets me off is that my 1st hour teacher gets so angry when people don't rise to say the pledge. Why should we stand ... (more »)

Constitution and Christianity said...
Feb. 9, 2009 at 1:35 am:
Christianity is based on "setting the captives free..." freedom.....ring a bell? Think for yourselves, not what the media dictates. Love you all.

EverlastingWords said...
That was sooo funny. I loved it! But America is a beautiful and so are most of the people in it. You are supposed to defend our country and if you don't like it I suggest you to get LOST!!!

Lulu said...
Look, AMERICA is NOT perfect because PEOPLE are NOT perfect. Although it's my opinion that your poem was insulting to everyone who does believe in the pledge, I will stand behind your freedom of speech because that is one of the rights that makes America so great.It's no secret that there are some corrupt people in power, the only way to bring about positive change is to be informed about our government and to set good examples that will truly make a difference in this world. As to everyone else... (more »)

rEVOLution said...
I have read the Constitution and found it is based on freedom, not Christianity.

I wish people would open their minds, and learn how to spell correctly before attempting to prove a point.

P.S. This is is great :D

the candyman said...
I've gotten my entire class to say this every morning when we're supposed to say the original. It's insanely awesome.

LeilaniLives replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm :
HAHA! Dude that's amazing!

Snow!!! replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:19 pm :
Wow, it's pretty impressive that your whole class (and teacher) are open-minded enough to see past the controversial issue this represents to the intent behind it. I applaud you all!

LeilaniLives replied...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 10:56 am :
Sarcasm is a sin. :D

Snow!!! replied...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 12:09 pm :
Good to know, but I'm not being sarcastic. I genuinely think that is really cool and interesting

LeilaniLives replied...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm :
Really? Well, then, Power To You!

what the problem is? said...
i don't see what the deal is with the word god in the pledge. wasn't this country based on christanty... read the constatution.

LeilaniLives replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm :
HAHA! Dude that's amazing!

LeilaniLives replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm :
wait crap , wrong one. -.-

LeilaniLives replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm :
wrong person. I meant to write to the person above you.

thelogicoflove replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 6:08 pm :
As far as I'm aware, this country was based on religious freedom, and there are laws about seperation of church and government. That is why many people disagree with the 'Under God' portion of the pledge.

D-GENERATION-X said...
this is all true!! it was halarious!! i agree that this should be our pledge!!