A Recited Truth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the controversial culture for which it stands
One nation, under whatever deity you choose,
Indivisible since 1965,
With liberty and justice for all who can afford a decent lawyer.

writing101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
thats cute. its true about whats going on in the world

alvina said...
i like it!!!....well actually love it!!!

Jazzzy517 said...
this is so true. absoluetly LOVE IT

corruptedlullaby said...
I like this a LOT. Especially the part that says: One nation, under whatever deity you choose.
I'm agnostic and I used to be atheist so this is SO right. I hate that we have to say "Under God".

Who8myLLAMA This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 13, 2009 at 9:40 am:
The last line made me laugh out loud.
Very nice job.

Sarah B. said...
I do like this a lot, because I am really into controversial things. But because of that, I have to say I disagree with what you're truly saying. Love the way that it's said and you have talent, but this is America, and being that we have freedom here, anybody here to doesn't like it is more than welcome to leave.

Amber K. replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 7:15 pm :
I agree with Sarah B. Talented, very outspoken. But maybe choose something else that isn't our pledge to America to be opininated about.

Snow!!! replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm :
No offense, but if we cannot be opinionated about our pledge, and by extention, what we believe is right and wrong about our country, then what exactly may we be opinionated about?
P.S. I can definitely see where you're coming from, and how you could come to that conclusion, I just disagree

Brittany=) said...
Aug. 5, 2009 at 9:57 am:
Very True, and good job, your poem is very well written.

earthgil said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:29 am:
I think the same thing!!! Except the only thing i would add, is why do we pledge to a FLAG?! I mean it is symbolic i guess, but, i mean a bald eagle could work. just why a FLAG?

Shannon F. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 1:21 am:
It was very clever I enjoyed it. As a person who says the pledge but omits "Under God", being atheist, I felt it adressed underlieing issues that many people ignore concerning our society and culture. for a country with separation of church and state, it's very hypocritical.

AJ K. said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm:
haha great poem. dont be afraid to add some more cynicism

Chrissy L. said...
May 28, 2009 at 7:36 pm:
I mean pledge, not anthem. Sorry.
The more I think about this piece, the more I see the reality in it. Sorry if I offend any hard-cored patriots, but I am an open minded liberal who is not afraid to question the effectiveness of the ethics and morals our nation preaches and spoon-feeds every child. Every day we recite the pledge in school, and while the other students drone the chant we all know, I whisper this pledge instead.

Chrissy L. said...
May 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm:
Very true. We as a nation are very self centered. We blow our accomplishments way out of porportion, and love to toot our own horn. It is very creative to give this country a reality chack by using the national anthem.

FarmGirl said...
May 22, 2009 at 8:51 pm:
Omy gosh, I don't argree with it but i do like it

somewhat.

sweetbaby_11213@yahoo.com said...
May 21, 2009 at 1:25 am:
very funny but has alot of history behind it lol. it`s giving people independence and the right to choose something that our country didnt have a once upon a time ago

d3nyM3nOt said...
THAT WAS AMAZING!!!! I LOVE THE LAST LINE. i lived in a poor neighborhood when i was younger and saw alot of people go to jail but they couldnt afford a decent lawyer to plead their case efficently. im just glad someone else took notice.

D@F!N3ST said...
this was great!

JordanElyse said...
I really liked what you wrote. It really got me thinking about our culture and society today.

123098 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was interesting. I myself used to not say the Pledge of Allegiance, I was against the word God. Then, i slowly realized that I was allowed to decide what the Pledge meant to me, and that no matter what other people thought it said, I was the one it mattered for. I like hearing your opinion of what the Pledge and the flag, and America means to you.