Silence Is Of the Essence

Quiet.
That’s it.
Every day.
Just quiet.
No birds chirping.
No children laughing.
No sizzling of steaks on the grill.
I don’t know what people say to me.
I don’t know what people say about me.
If they don’t know,
they just go on on and on.
What do I do?
I sit there.
Watch lips move,
and wish I could do that too.
Say those sounds.
Say them right.
Say something.
Anything.
I can only write.
Only write,
and make signs with my hands.
Momma doesn’t know if I’ll get better.
She doesn’t know that I look for cures.
I look for cures everyday.
Everyday,
this Internet saves me.
It’s horrible,
when there’s false hope.
Hope rises up,
up,
into the air like a hot air balloon.
And then the fire goes out.
And you go falling down to the surface.
People don’t know how hard it is.
How hard it is for me.
For everyone like me.
They don’t know what it’s like.
I can’t do anything with my mouth.
When I speak,
it sounds
different.
But I wouldn’t know anyway.

xXxXangelXxXxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:58 am:
hey its amazing.. i like how u compare hope to a hot air balloon rising up... its very gud, a bit sad but gud...

Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:58 am:

TiwazThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm:
I like the concept a lot, but one thing I noticed is that it's a bit choppy. You might try combining some of the lines (particularly the ones that repeat) to make it flow more smoothly.

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm:
Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm :
okay that's weird. I did not just type that.

Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm :
What i would have said if the conmputer hadn't freaked out on me is that the poem is awesome. great job showing instead of telling.

Khadijah said...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm:
I really feel the emotions behind this one. it captures the frustrations of being trapped in your own mind. 

DeadlyPurpleBunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:56 pm:
I really like this. It has a lot of emotion to it which is always good in poetry because when it's passionless it's sooooo boring :P Would you mind reading my two poems? No one is really commenting on them. You don't have to but I'd appreciate it.