Sitting Alone

Sitting alone
In a darkened room.
Knees hugged to my chest,
My breath coming in raw gasps of air.
A tear trickles down my cheek slowly,
Appreciating every second of its journey.

I close my eyes,
The pain is too much to bear.
You left me here.
This is where I saw you last.
Somehow,
I still smell,
The smells of our past.
I smell the lilies
You gave me that night.
The smell is overpowering,
Surrounding me in a deafening circle.
The aroma hurts my nose,
I could taste them in my mouth.
Those lilies you gave me were white-
Like the white of a cloud.
A meaningless, cloud.
Then, the lilies’ perfume was sweet and dainty,
Now the scent haunts me like a devil.

That night we sat here
In this very room.
The night we danced
By the open window.
I can almost feel the chilly breeze
Whispering in my ear, now.
On a night like tonight,
The full moon shines
The only light in the room.
It shines on the wall behind me.
That night was a full moon too.
One of your hands was at my waist,
The other at my shoulder.
The sound of a melody
Playing in the background.
It sounded like a lullaby,
With the rhythm of tip-toe, tip-toe.
I remember laughing at us
Dancing by the open window.
Then you kissed me.

I open my eyes.
Pain is shrieking in my heart,
Thundering in my skull.
Angry bullets dance their way in the pit of my stomach,
Making a dreadful knot appear.
You left me here.
Lilies blur my vision,
And I want to cry,
But I can't remember how.
The scent making me in dizzy,
The pain squeezing me into a tight, small ball.
The moonlight flashing through the open window
A reminder of what happened.
A dreadful, traumatizing reminder.

I want to get up,
Break the window glass,
Ruin and destroy the only evidence of you.
But I forget how.
Everything is slipping away...
Away…
Away…
Where are you?

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thank you so much!!!

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely love this poem! You are amazing at conveying emotions through your writing! Perhaps you should try writing prose. The descriptions in here are beautiful and simply astounding, and the phrasing is great (especially in the last stanza). Just a minor thing, you repeated the word "smell" twice in stanza 2 and it was a bit repetitive, but it's no biggie. Everything else is perfect! This is a piece I will never forget!

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:41 am :
Thank you SO much!!!

Shortblueeyes224This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Yours words are so powerful! Your descriptions of everything you felt brought me to a time when I felt like that. Great Job :)

Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm :
Thank you!!

OldYoungOne said...
I enjoy the use of imagery in this poem I could see everything you were describing as well as feel for myself. Again Nice Job. Could you read some of my other works I would appreciate it. Comment and Rate too please :):)

mee-mee said...
Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:21 am:
ohhh eemmm geee !!! yesss !!! very pwerful discriptions . i felt some pain and loneliness .. very good !

Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm :
Thank you so much

mellowmari said...
Wow powerful descriptions! You really kept me engaged with your word choice! :)

Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm :
Thank you!

garshongjasmine said...
love the way you left me hanging on the last line... great work..:)  

Sept. 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm :
Thank you!

Sept. 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm :
Thank you!

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 6, 2012 at 10:15 am:
... Omg... That's amazing. Definitely a favorite of mine. Great descriptions and amzing emotion.

Sept. 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm :
Thank you!!

amber603This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I cant believe how beatiful your writing is. I felt like this once and was never able to put it to words but you did that for me. Awesome!

Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm :
Thank you SO much!!

curlygurlray said...
wow. this is amazing! its riviting with pain, you can feel what your going through and you leave the readers wondering what had happened. great job(:

Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm :
Thank you!

Aderes47 said...
I really like this poem, it could have many different stories, but what is the story that you want to tell? What I like about your poetry is that it has great imagery and a great sense of emotion!