This Is Who I Am | Teen Ink

This Is Who I Am

July 21, 2012
By Anonymous

I am from the broken house with the broken family that was never meant to be broken.
I am from the perfections of both parents whose problems are now mine.
I am from that day care center with only two children and me in charge, reluctantly.
I am from a dingy bed that has been overused and is now soaked in tears.
I am from the super parent, the dad that does everything, but hardly does anything.
I am from that woman laying on her side, more broken than I am as she forces her head up.
I am from the report card in the mail with letters I have never seen before. Consonants where a vowel should be.
I am from the stage where my escape lies in hiding, for no one wants to see the dependence.
I am from the music of my soul that plays all day and night and escapes through the mallets grasped tightly in both hands.
I am from the house down the street. The one that looks so peaceful and perfect. The one that has been shattered inside.
But I’m gluing the pieces back together.


The author's comments:
I've gone through a lot in the past year. A divorce, lawsuits, falling behind in school, friendships, and stress in general. I've learned to grow from my problems, and I hope my readers can too.