Cookies and Cream

I was told to retrieve you from the freezer, and to put you in a bowl for my dear mother.
As I scoop you out of the carton I notice...
You are the negative spectrum of my heart and blood!
I try to dismiss this conscience-stricken thought
by continuing to scoop ice-cream for my mother.

It's a hot sunny day, with a baby blue sky and cumulus clouds.
Peaceful and contempt; everything was calm, as if put on mute and replaced with happy chirps of the birds and waves hitting up against the promontory,
EXCEPT for the inner voice of me
screeching horrendous signals notifying that I can't fool my mind.
I recognize that there is not a single whole cookie,
just bits and pieces;
some chopped into chunks,
others sliced into slithers
...like my heart.
All in the midst of cream (blood)!

How dare you mock me of my circulatory system!
Coming incognito, dressing in black & white.
Thought I wouldn't perceive your true form, huh?
STOP! teasing me of my red network!
You're going to be eaten, so ha!
STOP! staring at me like that!
I said STOP!
*I throw the bowl with you in it at the wall.*

My freezer was never an abode for Cookies and Cream again.

honoraryhobbitThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:07 pm:
I read this, and I was like "Woah! What just happened?". But in the best possible way. Oh wow, this is awesome. :) I like how, although it would have been really easy to just make this a depressing piece, you made it funny. The drama is just great: I was transported into the mind of the narrator, and I could feel their paranoia and the melodrama of it all. This is brilliant, and I'm kinda scared of cookies and cream ice cream now. :) Nice work.

MaybeImCrazyButIThinkILoveYouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
... I actually loved it :)

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dramatic, yet somehow comical. Great job! I enjoyed reading this! Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! It would mean a lot.

EMarie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked that a lot. It was funny, but still had meaning. And it was verrrrrrryyyyyy dramatic!!!!!!!