I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

AlwaysWrite28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing, and we have a lot in common might I add! I loved the part about "my sister, the other half of me" that reminded me of my poem "Immortal in a Memory" u can check it out if u want. Great work, its a beautiful poem.

WriterDancerLover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:33 am
Thank you for the comment! My sister truly is the other half of me. We're identical twins. I'll make sure to check out your poetry. God bless.

mstweety012 said...
i love this poem it reminds me so much of wat i use to do like watch pokemon and stuff like that .....amazing

misunderstood11 said...
I LOVE IT. It reminds me of childhood and how childish i still am.

vnj6607 said...
Your poem is so cute!  What's weird is that I have a poem with the same title. It must be a teacher scene. My favorite part that I could relate to is " I am from walks on the beach and the sand on my feet and not wanting to go home after vacation". I can definitely relate to that.

Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:35 am
I get a lot of comments about the "teacher scene." =] I actually just wrote it straight from my mind, without knowing it was such a popular subject.

Ryalynn said...
thats cute. that actually makes me think about where i am from. not from hate but from enjoyment and things to do. GREAT PIECE OF WORK. VERY TALENTED INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ameezy said...
Wow this is so weird! My class did this  poem two weeks ago in English! It was such a fun poem to do. I might even put mine on here too! I love it! Good job :)

Swrilingpaint This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you should have put your heart and soul into it. just for the fact its about you and your life. Show them what your made of (:

What do you mean? I put me into this poem completely.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
she means dig deeper, you just wrote down some random events in your life that must have stood out. what do you stand for/believe/fight for/love/inner demons, stuff like that is a lot more powerful.

Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:38 am
Oh, I understand what she means now. However, I do think that many people forget that poetry doesn't always have to be about inner demons and the very core of a being. I simply wrote this poem during a very sad time in my life in which I needed to remember what made me happy. I wrote this for me, and when I realized what joy it reminded me of in my life, I thought I might as well share it. Never did I dream that people would like it and vote for it and that it would stay so popular for two years.

evdiamond said...
this is really god:)

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Wow. I really really liked this.(: Brought back alot of wonderful memories.(:

So, thank you.(:

speech.write.crazy said...

It made me remember playing with my sister when I was younger and how she would always make me be the prince haha. It's really good!

Please look at my work! Comments are appreciated!

hciluarg_m823 said...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 9:21 am
As I read your poem, I found myself picturing everything you did. I can relate to the cookies and Pokemon especially :) This is an amazing poem, so great job.

Baller22 said...
check out my poems! please!

hotpinkgrl96 said...
Good Job, I had to do this is school also, I'll submit mine too(:

gymn88 said...
i love you poem.  i had to write an I Am From Poem for school and i would of put my heart and soul in it if i didn't have to present it to my class.

Swrilingpaint This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

palak said...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:10 am
the whole poem stood out really good job keep it up!!