I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

Sarbear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm:
did you submit this into a POP competition? it sounds familiar.

Hippie_H.A.M.? replied...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm :
oh my gosh it does sarbear!! but its still VERY good and unique and is a NUANCE (hope i used that write but in case i didn't i think it was a poem that made you think about things a little diffrently)

iLuv2run replied...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm :
this does sound alot like that one poem that won the POP poetry contest a couple years ago... but its not the same one. i actually like this poem a little better tho... :)

pampalooga This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm:
i didn't like this, LOVED it. so original and true and... it describes exactly how i feel about my childhood also. i reeeeally enjoyed reading this and it rightly deserves to be printed in the magazine. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!! :)

LostAngel said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm:
love the "I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes"
Really stood out, the whole poem did

alayapoetgirl said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 8:42 am:
I like this poem...however I have heard a poem just like it...titled 'Where I am From'. Anyway, yours is quite different..it is unique!
-When you get the chance check out my opinion essay on animal rights/vegetarianism.

LimitlessDreamer said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:30 am:
That was really just simple amazing and i am definatley a fan of yours now...amazing job :)

..beautiful...imperfection... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It is a beautiful poem, but I would suggest you proofread next time before you sumbit. Things like two different verb tenses in the same sentence, unnessecary sentence fragments, and 'Bernstain' instead of 'Bernstein' annoy the educated reader. Just a thought. :) But it had great ideas. :D

demetria replied...
May 27, 2010 at 5:53 pm :
good critisism on that ....:)

ShernayB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 3:10 am:
This is really beautiful. It really got me thinking about what I used to do as a child. This poem is brilliant, and I will tag it as one of my favorites!! Congrats on getting it published, btw.

booklover08 said...
I think..no i know that this is very beautifu and i loved it halfway throughh...my favoring part was "I am from tears on my pillow
and unanswered cries from holding you hand
and that look in your eyes."
I couldn't exactly wirte your whole poem back to you but just know all of this is my favorite.!

This*Lit*Is*BananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 9:21 am :
I love that stanza too, especially since most of the other stanzas don't rhyme so this one stands out, plus it's so sweet and romantic. I LOVE this poem. So cute, and I can relate to almost all of it. I'm adding this to my favourites.

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so so soooo beautiful! I love it! It is a wonderfully composed piece that displays phenomenal development! Keep it up!

Sarah09 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this -- I've attempted this kind of poem countless times, and it's a lot trickier than it looks! Wonderful job!

Emmalee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:05 am:
Wonderful. :) "I am from tears on my pillow and unanswered cries, from holding your hand and that look in your eyes." That line gave me chills.

Claire_Milan said...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 11:47 am:
I love the style. The reality of it all. The tenderness and truthfulness and this has helped me to see that I have come a long way from all these things. Now I can see where my parents get the phrase, "Time sure does fly." Because in reality, I'm from all these things too. How about writing another piece similiar to this about where you're going.....? Just for thought....
Always&Forever
~Claire Milan*

writingtiger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You absolutely rocked this poem!!! :) Keep writing like this and maybe you'll be signing pictures for your fans on a midsummer's day!!! Keep on making me happy! :)

rinaheartsyoux3XD said...
this was amazing.
i realllly like this.
i liked the part where you said
" I am from tears on my pillow,
And unanswered cries,
From holding your hand,
And that look in your eyes"
that is so cute [=
grrrreat job :D

Dwane 123 said...
good job loved it

jackieo said...
Dear Writerdancerlover,
I am a teacher who is writing and teaching this very kind of poem and we found yours today. I loved it. I thought it had some of of the best voice of any I've read so far and I especially liked your phrase "green blankey."