I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

FilmEcho68This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
We just read a poem like this in creative writing!!!!! I love how you put your life into it!! Simple beauty... i like it :)

writefearless said...
this is a wonderful poem. it made me smile and reminded me of my own childhood. it is nostalgic and funny at the same time. most of all, i love how everything in this poem is true. beautiful ♥ thank you for writing this :)

CarrieElizabeth said...
Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:12 am:
This poem was simply beautiful. Words can not describe the way that I could relate (and from the comments, I'm not the only one!) The stanza "I am from tears on my pillow..." stood out to me more than any other, simply because of the way that can be you for the rest of your life. Sure, the others are bittersweet memories, but I don't think you ever reach an age where you are too old to cry and hold someone's hand. I applaud you for such beautiful memories and writing. :)

SoImAWriterNow said...
Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:00 am:
I basically agree with TaylorWintry..i was pleasantly surprised when my eyes started watering towards the end of this and I don't know why. I really began to love this poem when towards the end you started rhyming it. To me, it was so much more powerful that you didn't rhyme in the first few stanzas and that when I noticed you were...i don't know, I just got really emotional. Thank you for writing this. I loved it.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm:
Honestly, my eyes started watering when I read this. So many of the things you brought up jogged memories of my own childhood.... Ex: Instead of Cheerios, I tried Froot Loops for the first time in SeaWorld and fell in LOVE. But anyway, I really enjoyed this. The ending was so bittersweet as well! It just made me - ugh. This is awesome. You've done a really great job. And now, after I finish venting in this little comment box, I'm going to take my handy dandy mouse and check out more of y... (more »)

Mackentosh said...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:39 pm:
Is this based of the poem 'Where I'm From'  by George Ella Lyon? 

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm:
Just beautiful! I love the way it flows, how precise and sweet it is. Amazing job, keep it up! :)

Thatdaydreamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
aww this is lovely!

DemonAngel said...
I love this.It is very well written and brings up old and great memories. I hope you check out mine and like mine as well. Please do not stop writing

carmen_smith said...
I did an I am From poem in my writer's workshop class this year. I love them in general! I really love yours, though. Fantastic :) Check out my poem "Micheal" if you'd like. It's my first post to Teen Ink (:

dd221 replied...
Feb. 27 at 11:10 am :
it was a good one

carmen_smith said...

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was so great. You're a fantastic writer. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear your opinion of my poem Broken Structure. Cheers. :)

sbets said...
Jul. 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm:

I love this! It's important that every person should know their roots, and I like how you clearly stated yours. Love the rhythm, too. Outstanding job!

Please check out and comment on my poems!

. replied...
Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm :
^That's me. Mind checking out my work?:)

Indilove said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:45 am:

I just absolutly love this. It's so relatable to everyone. It's written so clear and precise, this is truly a wonderful piece of work. I don't even know what else to say it's just perfect in every way.

Keep writing and never stop

you have a gift, pursue it

QueenOfMars said...
May 17, 2012 at 6:26 am:
wow.... I had written something really familiar... but yours turns out to be lovely! Keep up the great work! 

devil said...
not bad but why talk about your child hoood

Kate97 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:59 am:
I really liked the imagry you provided. I loved it. :)

Shaniqua said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm:

This made me cry for some reason. 

Thankyou<3