I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

girliecurleyyy said...
Dec. 28, 2008 at 1:55 am
I love this poem so much. Keep on rockin' it sista! Don't let mean comments get to you because this is definitely something to be proud of... and just look at all the other poems you've published through other anthologies and such! You are well on your way to becoming a great writer.

42537292srw said...
I like it a little bit. It Doesn't make sense. I love twilight though

artofthedeath said...
Dec. 20, 2008 at 3:36 am
I have never heard of Lyon. This poem was from the heart, but the author should not be so quick to take offense. I can't talk, so I am sorry for saying that. However, I am one to speak what another needs to hear.
I read this poem, and what comes to me is the good ole' innocent days where life was simple and the weight of the world didn't press on my shoulders every moment. When times were bright and expanses long and prentiful. I remember those days with a bitterness, because now they are... (more »)

julzgilmore said...
Dec. 19, 2008 at 3:57 am
Exactly, just because she wrote down something similar doesn't mean it's plagiarism or copy-cat. Beside this is Teen Ink, meant for writers in the making.
It was a lovely poem. I read it and thought of myself growing up. You can tell she wrote it from childhood memories by the way she presents them in an order, each reminding her of another.
Great Job and keep writing.
Look up my poem - Description Without Proof and tell me what you think if you please. I need some feed back.

theauthorofthispoem said...
Dec. 30, 2008 at 4:27 am
For the record I am not "offended" by the critisisms of my poem. I merely felt that some of the statements were unnecessary and harsh. I appreciate comments and even critisisms, but keep in mind that this site should be for fun, and not so much of a competition. If people continue to leave such harsh comments on everyone's pages, the fun is taken out of Teen Ink! And thanks to everyone who left me a comment. i am glad to be reaching people in any way i can! And to julzgilmore, can you ... (more »)

duckie430 said...
good job! i like this poem

crich897 said...
If, truly, you have never seen Lyon's poem, I take back the negative things I have said and apologize for them.
I realize that sometimes I am overly critical of some of the work on here. I guess that's just a flaw of mine: I see technicalities just as clear as I see the actual content. If I have offended any of you, I am sorry. If ya wanna debate at all, shoot me an email at crich897@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you.
"theauthorofthispoem", now that you have challe... (more »)

tweedle dee said...
you go girl!

theauthorofthispoem said...
Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:27 am
to crich897: quite frankly, i have never even heard of this Lyon person. i acknowledge that this poem could be similar to this person's poem, but please stop calling it a version of something else! Great minds think alike. haha I just wrote what i was feeling, i didnt know it would be so bothersome to some of you people! and really, you could have written that "long list of critisisms..." but it wouldnt mean anything. I would like to see you write something better! and it has been on t... (more »)

amybelieves93 said...
Dec. 14, 2008 at 3:07 am
dang...this is so good! I love how random it is yet it pulls together perfectly at the end with kind of a love story twist to it :) this is great!

DonnieDotNet said...
Wow this is amazing. Can you tell me when your writing was published though? I'm very impatient and I don't know when they check their submissions...

blacvelvet said...
This poem was GREAT! Keep on writing from the heart!

crich897 said...
Dec. 13, 2008 at 4:04 am
I could write you out this big long criticism... but I won't. I just have one simple question: why has this been on top for so dang long?

By the way I agree with debaser. No way did you do this without any inspiration from Lyon. Every high school english class in the nation looks at Lyon's "Where I'm From" poem at one point or another.

JZEkarose said...
Dec. 13, 2008 at 1:41 am
Wow this just gave me chills.
it made me start to think about what would be in my poem, if i was to write one like that. that is so good.

sexygurl101 said...
i love this poem it inspired me so much, keep on writing.

Ashleyyyy said...
Dec. 10, 2008 at 4:21 am
I love this!

theauthorofthis! said...
Dec. 2, 2008 at 3:01 am
Hey! I actually pulled this piece straight from my brain! So please don't call it a "version" of someone else's poem. THIS IS ALL MINE!

MnM011895 said...
It was really good! Just about any kid can relate to this! KEEP ON WRITING! =)

jbird265 said...
Dec. 3, 2008 at 2:52 am
This is cute.

Debaser12 said...
This is an interesting version of the original "Where I'm From." I like it. My writing class had to do a similar exercise. You really should have given some credit to George Ella Lyon, though, because it's not fair to take her format and not say it was hers.