I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

OrliveeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 12 at 9:18 am
yh, I like that we're from experiences and not from places. Beautifully done.

BalanceoflightanddarknessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 21 at 9:38 am
I love this but it is kinda of sad

youngbirchThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 21 at 2:43 am
I love the concept of this poem that we don't come from a place but rather from our experiences. Those are the things that create who we are, and the sense of nostalgia in this poem creates a tone that's really beautiful.

lourdezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 29 at 11:02 am
hi im new in this web site   

Rosie630 said...
Sep. 18 at 8:38 am
Wow...love it. This sounds like me. So relatable!

wildsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 30 at 6:16 pm
this poem is really good and inspireing 

IngeniousTurtleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 3 at 2:06 pm
This is a really great poem. Love how it plays on the phrase "I am from", and instead of saying a place, uses a moment. :)

mindwrecked said...
Jul. 27 at 4:06 am
i love it! good job

Athena17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25 at 8:47 pm
Loved this poem :) sooo well written and relatable 

KanateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25 at 12:24 pm
I love this poem, It's something almost everyone can relate to, and i think that's awesome. 

TheJIsLikeAYThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11 at 2:22 am
I really really loved this poem. We did these in class this year and it brought back good memories.

Propheteer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11 at 1:03 am
This is really powerful and relatable. Nicely done.

Xandi said...
May 20 at 3:22 pm
This is an amazing poem. I'll definetly be looking out for more of them. I also read some of your other poems, and they are just awesome. You put so much thought and meaning into so few words, and are a truly gifted writer.

im_awesomeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 10:52 am
this is beautiful. and amazing. this poem is unique in a different way then others. the best poem i have seen.

Calli G. said...
Apr. 21 at 12:34 pm
This poem is lovely.  The element of nostalgia really hits home. I can relate to most of the childhood memories you mentioned, as I'm sure many others can, too. Beautifully done, you have a real gift.  

Paulina I. said...
Apr. 6 at 7:20 pm
This is beautifuly writen. It is very visual and it's one of my all time favorite poems on here. Keep writing! You truly have a gift. I bet you would like the poem my big sister wrote. AlexandraL. Her poem called Different is a true work of art.

C.neisha said...
Mar. 1 at 8:35 am
Beautiful :)

meghan00 said...
Feb. 18 at 1:36 pm
 i like how you incorpated all the good memories from all of our childhoods to one poem. this was a good freeverse poem, i love it.

EEKgirl said...
Jan. 11 at 12:10 am
This poem made me smile. It's nice to read cheerful freestyle. :)

kimisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This poem was awsome, helped me remember the good parts in my childhood