Ode to the Atheist

In the fires of hell I was told I would burn,

If I didn't accept Christ,

There were reasons why I doubted because some of what I was taught I didn't think was right,

I had questions to why rules ,

Why verses were written,

Why parts of the bible appeared the way they did,

But my questions were unanswered,

My reasons were silenced,

Just accept Jesus Christ many told told me,

And the more they said it I denied it,

The more I told people the more hurt I became,

Because people couldn't empathize how my Atheism came,

The people who changed me were only the few people who would listen,

Why I doubted in God,

Why I lived without religion,

I'm Christian now but it took so long to be,

If only more people would have listened to why I doubted, it wouldn't have taken so long to see.

Rocker_Girl_SilentChaos said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm:
I love this poem, because i can very much relate to this. This is very insperational. I read this, and it got me writting a short story, so thank you. And your an AMAZING writer!!

AlwaysAbditive said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:54 am:
The topic you wrote about is very interesting and intriguing and that's why I liked this piece the most. I think instead of placing things like this in poetry, you should try short stories instead because your verses were more of sentences than anything. Keep writing!

VirginiaMangrum said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:22 am:
Wow! This is really super! I'm so into athiest/agnostic/apologist debate right now so I was super happy to find this poem! I love how you carry your feelings about how no one would give you answers, and how the last two lines rhyme.

baby_sunshine said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm:
Very good poem. I like the way you described why you were choosing to not accept christ. It is almost the same way I felt when I chose to stop listening to others and begin to think for myself. Please don't think I am criticizing you in this! I am an atheist, but I am not at all hateful towards those who choose to be religious. You are brave in that you chose to question the what those around you are saying. And for that I commend you. 

JSchwartz replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm :
 flExcellen