Trombone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In places like these the dust doesn't settle, it gets rolled up in zigzag papers
and filtered through the bodies of daytime state workers.
I come for the jazz not the coffee and all I leave with is poetry.
I tip but mostly conspicuously, I want to give them the feeling
and it's worth losing the money,
funny how you feel when it's sunny for the first day in a month of rain.

The trombone is narrating my grandparents' first date
fence hopping with wet socks through the sweat-dusted stockyard
after dark started lifting, but –
the drums cut him off in a prelude to a kiss,
missed the connection of lips around 6 a.m., just to trade fours with a Casio.
Oh, sweet jazz
You never quite say it.
A jazz solo is a bureaucrat
a diplomat
scat caught skirting around the issue
because if you just said what you meant,
what you wanted,
there'd be no magic in the
no romance in the
melody melody melody.
No, you have to make me believe you
just like any sob story worth a buck by a burning bush in a trash can
Where Lost Moses moans with the Hebrew hobos
Somewhere sort of like South Franklin.
Just like an election
Or a TV special,
or a long late-night email
with tall Mystery herself,
It's not the story,
it's all in how you tell it.

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderful! I really liked this - the title drew me to this poem. I'm a band geek. (:

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ahh :) And I am a music nerd. Nice to meet you.

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing! Partially because you're an awesome writer, partially because I love jazz, and partially because, well, I am a bit impartial—I play trombone ^_^.

On a slightly different note, would you mind if I posted some of your poetry on my tumblr? I would credit you, of course (I'd most likely give a link to your TI profile, unless you'd prefer another site), if you're fine with that. Thanks! :)

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. And yes, the Trombone is a wonderfully expressive instrument :)

I would be honored if you posted some of my poetry to your tumblr. You could link to my TI profile, yes. Is there any chance I could get the URL of your tumblr so I could follow you?

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:51 am
Awesome! And sure, here's the link (just take out the spaces, since TI filters actual links :P): htt p://theeloquenceofleaves.tumblr.co m/

Kiki_McGee said...
Wow, this poem makes me wish I loved jazz music more than I do! I love how you incorporated your grandparents into it!

Thank you! I do recommend live Jazz for writing poetry, also, haha :)

InkWriter13 said...
I love the analogy and all the references. You truly have a way with words. Kind of long lines sometimes but I respect your right as a writer to determine the length in a free verse poem. Great message, great poem. Vivid imagery, perfect comparisons. Great work, truly. 5 stars. Would you please comment on my work titled the Magic of Love and In the Library?