Toxic Friend

I try to hide
from your constant “woe is I”
I got better things to do…
but I can’t escape
from your sense of impending doom.
Sometimes I feel that maybe yelling at you would make you listen
…it wouldn’t
but maybe telling you that you’re not suffering will.
Do you starve so your bones show through?
Do you freeze on the streets at night?
Have you ever fallen asleep to gunfire?
When you have…
then maybe I’ll listen.

andromeda13 said...
This is a very realatible poem to a lot of people, especially teenagers, there was clearly a lot of emotion in it. Although I feel it didn't flow very well at some parts, it was very well written. 

JoPepper replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:44 am
Ok thanks for reading :)

TheCapturedBatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:55 am
This is a very good description of how a person can be an emotional burden to those close to them. Yet at the same time I think the behavior of this friend is natural in a way. People can still feel intense fear and pain, even if their lives are relatively decent.

JoPepper replied...
Thanks so much for reading!

AgentOrange789 said...
Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:30 am
I agree with Allicat. I know so many people who wander around with their brand new iphones, macbook pros, and expensive retina-damaging clothing, telling anyone who will listen that their life is terrible. This was awesomely written, and was a much needed vent for me to read. :D

JoPepper replied...
At that point I'm like If your life is so terrible why don't use that fancy phone of yours to schedule an actual appointment to talk to someone instead of booking me as your personal psycologist.  Thanks for reading I'll read something of yours!

Allicat001 said...
This poem is really relatable, not to mention well-written, especially through your examples of freezing on the streets at night and falling asleep to gunfire. Good job.

JoPepper replied...
Thanks for reading!  I'll read something of yours also! :)