Ode to Classical Music | Teen Ink

Ode to Classical Music

May 29, 2012
By Oboelover123 SILVER, GRANITE BAY, California
Oboelover123 SILVER, GRANITE BAY, California
5 articles 4 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten he or she learned in school," ----Albert Einstein


They are the notes that call to you,
Yes, the soft whispers that sweep you off your feet;
Or the powerful, mysterious melodies that put you in a trance of utter silence.
The gentle, haunting tones of classical music both inspire and influence.

From the great halls of Vienna,
To the majestic, shallow shores of Australia,
Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky invented languages that all people can understand.
And it is those famous sounds that connect every hand together in harmony;
Their music can be peacemakers.

Not many understand the elegance and grace that classical music brings to this world,
But I’ll tell you one thing:
Love, joy, passion, fury, hate, beauty, and envy spring from the phrases and notes of every composition ever played.
And without those intense emotions, what are we?
A barren string of dots written on lined paper?
No, we are humans with feelings too strong to imagine.

Music so powerful can bring out such emotions and make us who we are.
A sweet high note on the violin can bring out tears of longing and desire,
While a low, dark melody of a piano can evoke such sadness and unfulfillment.
Either way, the beauty of each intricately balanced work of art can soothe the soul of even a savage beast.

Quote from the movie, Amadeus:

“On the page it looked nothing. The beginning simple, almost comic. Just a pulse—like a rusty squeezebox. Then suddenly—high above it—an oboe, a single note, hanging there unwavering, ‘till a clarinet took it over and sweetened it into a phrase of such delight! This was a music I’d never heard. Filled with such longing, such unfulfillable longing, it had me trembling. It seemed to me that I was hearing the very voice of god.”

-Salieri
(Main character, and famous composer of his time)


The author's comments:
I love classical music, and play oboe in a youth symphony + my school band. This poem expresses my love for music.