come back

You fight to keep your country free
You fight to keep us free of enemies
You go to war
Not knowing if you are going to come back

You fight so that we can wave our flag proudly
You fight so that your family can be safe
You leave with a grin on your face
Saying “I’ll be back.”

You fight so that we can be safe
You fight for your people
You write letters to your family
Saying “I wish I was back”

You fought for honor
You fought for your people
Your families cry for you
Knowing you’ll never be back

You fought for yourself
You fought for your country
You are now safe
You are with God

DomoandUnicorns said...
That was really powerful

albinotiger said...
O *tear* this poem is so sweet!! i <3 the mesage the emotion and everything else i love!!! u r really spectacular at writing and maybe check out my work sometime :)

KeepLivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm:
I hope this gets somewhere because I know the feeling of not knowing if someone will come back. This realy moved me. Thank you for writing it 

ReneeB said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm:
Very sad, but true. Your use of repetition adds a lot to the meaning of the poem. good job

curlygurlray said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm:
wow this almost made cry. this stirs some of my feelings being the girlfriend of a future marine. i hate seeing my reality face me but thanks for doing it for me. i love this poem keep writing(:

ZhadaMone said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm:
Wow that's deep....amazing :')

hypermagical said...
May 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm:
I like this poem because you draw attention to the fact that when soldiers leave for war, they truly don't know if they are going to make it home- and that dedication, to me is the essence of bravery.

DanielM said...
May 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm:
I really apperaticed the message of soliders in this poem. Cause i have family who were in the army and who are in the arm right know. Great Message and well written. Keep it up. Suggestion. a little bit of emotion

TelDorathan said...
May 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm:
Fairly well written, however, I believe it could be improved if more of the lines rhymed.

DreamsOfGoldThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2012 at 11:19 am:

I love this poem, thank you for making it. It may not have rhyming nor rhythm, but it was a true, heart warming poem, and I love it.

My dad was in the Navy and the Army. He may not be alive today. There's a song I can remember, and I love  it. "Don't Miss You Life"; that's what I thought whenever I saw him leave.

Thank you, again. I hope that this gets put on the mag. You deserve it. Five stars.

Anny_Grace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 28, 2012 at 11:16 am:
EHmaw I love it. The emotions relly flowed through and didnt stop or change and made it really fluid. I love the repition and how you changed it at the end but it sorta ment the same thing. You voice doesn't really show and I'd love to hear more of it!!