Daddy | Teen Ink

Daddy

By JessicaIsomxo BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
JessicaIsomxo BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina

I was just a baby when you left me
Always crying where daddy is, where’s daddy?

I’m six years old now playing on the play ground, the other boys and girls on the play ground have their daddy’s pushing them on the swings, but there’s no daddy to push for me
I was still a baby when you left me
I’m twelve years old, so confused on why you’re always gone. Was it me that did something wrong? I mean I know I’m not the perfect daughter; I just love you that’s all
I was a child when you left me
I’m fifteen years old now and always alone in my room, I love mom but I would like to see you

I know you love me but sending me money and gifts doesn’t fill up the hole where you’re missed
I was still a child when you left me
I’m eighteen years old now dad, I’ll be nineteen on February eleventh to be exact

I understand now dad, your job comes first and that’s that
But dad I just wish you could have seen when I first started talking, and crawling, and walking

The smile on my face when I first got my license
I’m not mad at you dad, I just want you to understand that me growing up without you wasn’t fair and it’s not the same

I was just a baby, a child, a rebellious teenager at times
I’m an adult now and I’m strong but me missing you will never change, I will continue to love you everyday

This piece is about my father. I love him very much. He does not know that I ever wrote this or that I'm uploading it... This poem really hit’s home to me, please be easy on the criticism.