Depths of the Ocean

One day I decided just to sit,
And watch the waves on the ocean.

They were small, gentle waves that swept onto the shore at their leisure,
Pulling away with the same finesse.
The setting sun glistened off the water,
Creating a mirror that spanned to the far corners of the earth,
Reflecting the brilliant colors of the sky.
In this mirror, the sky was endless,
Pruducing intense shades of orange, purple, and blue.
The water stretched up the beach,
Making its way to my feet,
Running its cool fingers over my toes.
The waves were a soothing symphony,
Their swell and crash resounding like symbols,
The pull like the pounding of drums.
It contained all the wonders of the world,
Buried in its vastness,
Gone forever.
Sitting there,
Taking in its beauty and power,
I felt like a tiny speck in the universe,
But maintained a sense of inner peace,
Of purpose,
That radiated from my core and crept across my skin.
The magnificence of the water overtook me,
And I saw the true beauty in that fearsome sea.

blackrabbit said...

So I absolutely adore your word choice throughout the entire piece. :) Such wonderful diction really brings the reader to the place you were describing. 

Your metaphor relating the ocean to a mirror is a tad cliche though but I like how you place the sky as the thing/person looking through it. It's almost like subliminal personification, though I'm not quite sure you meant to do that it was still a nice touch. 

Then when you change the character of the ocean from an in... (more »)

jackiee129 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thank you so much :) I love getting detailed comments. i'll be sure to check out your stuff!

blackrabbit said...

Josika.Nav said...
May 22, 2012 at 6:23 am
hey! amazing poem! i really liked the imagery and i felt like was next to the ocean ,as tigers also said. love this piece! great work and keep writing :D 

BucketFiller said...
May 22, 2012 at 6:20 am
Wow, I love it!  It definately makes me want to be at the ocean so badly!  You are great at using images, keep up the awesome work!

tigers said...
Awesome poem, i almost felt the ocean reading this:) Please look at some of my poems and comment on them. Just click on tigers, Thank you