Death | Teen Ink

Death

By Nemaidez BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas
Nemaidez BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas

"Childhood Is the Kingdom Where Nobody Dies."
"Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age
The child is grown, and puts away childish things.
Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St.Vincent Millay

Death

Death is a gem. Its depths glimmer and shift with an enticing light. Many think it’s a diamond, but its many facets are hopelessly opaque and obscure. It is born from tremendous heat and sudden crushing pressure. Some that look to deeply into its crystalline shadows become transfixed by its fey complexity; they rarely find their way out.

Death is a nursing home. When people have lost their self-control, when they have become too weak, too vulnerable, they slip into the home. It is even so that people are forced into the home, before their time. They become nothing but ghosts, the residents, drifting through the halls, forgotten, uncertain of everything. They rarely get visitors and can never leave. Although, the weary ones may find rest there; that is the purpose of Death.

Death is the depths of the ocean. People are lured by the mysterious, unexplored land. They’re lured by the exhilarating uncertainty of weightlessness and the unrestrained, free movement, free of the weight of the solid world. People dive deeper and deeper in their euphoria until they’ve gone too far, and they cannot resurface. Then depths have claimed them. The ones they’ve left behind look out to the ocean, the tomb, wanting more than anything to see their beloved rise out of its impossible depth. Some spend their entire life searching the dark, frigid grave for their loss, until they too are claimed.

Death is winter. When it comes in its flash of cold and gloom, it consumes one entirely. Everything stiffens in its embrace. When it breezes by it leaves a chill in you bones and a weight in your heart. When one encounters it directly, it saps the warmth from their body, the blush from their face, and the strength from their limbs. They slowly lose everything. They are left numb, icy statues, with their faces locked in a final despairing picture. People go into their homes, their “safe places”, and start their fires, huddling in their blankets pretending winter doesn’t exist, that its icy hands can’t reach them. They are wrong. The winter freezes, spoils, fractures and drains, but above all, it cannot be ignored.

Parts of it are more evolved than others because some parts were just there to fill up space... again I would appreciate comments, ratings, or just reference.

on Jul. 10 2012 at 11:14 am
whitlynn BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas

you make me so sad D: