Titanic Violins | Teen Ink

Titanic Violins

April 8, 2012
By KylieM BRONZE, Newton, Kansas
KylieM BRONZE, Newton, Kansas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"


The wave of the hymn drifted away in all directions, and coated the chaos in a blanket of peace. Its gentle tune encompassed only an infinitesimal portion of the black sea that extended from the dying ship to the farthest drifted passenger in all directions. Shielding the outside world from the torment within, as if the outside world noticed, and attempting to force the doomed passengers to swallow a breath of calmness before their tragic death, certain to come.There the melodic sound lingered: soothing, safeguarding, calming, protecting, but not prevailing, as it slowly died out, along with the only ears who heard it.


The author's comments:
I recently watched the Titanic for the first time and can't stop listening to the hymn "Nearer My God to Thee" played by the violinists as the ship is sinking. At that point in the movie, I started to feel the emotions of the people on the sinking ship being expressed in that powerful song. That moment really stuck with me.