13 Candles

Candles glow.
Gifts and hugs are exchanged.
Laughing.
Friendship.
One more year.
Gone forever.
The days glide past,
like an eagle in flight.
The candles gleam.
The time went by like the flicker of a lamp,
the twinkle of a star,
the buzz of a hummingbird.
Impossible to miss,
but gone all the same.
I make a wish
and blow.

Complete darkness.

13

so_joy said...
I LOVE THSI! Before my 13th birthday, I just couldn't believe I was going to be a teenager. I had these same feelings-if only I'd written them down! Thank you for putting my feelings into a fantastic poem.  Please read, rate and comment on my poems! Thanks! 

LongLazyDays55 said...
If only I could have written a poem at 13! :( Such a good poem! Being older, I can relate to this. I really want my teenage years to go slow. Keep writing! :D

LongLazyDays55 said...
If only I could've made a poem before my 13th birthday! :( Such a good poem! Being a lot older, I can relate to this! :D Keep writing! :) Keep writing! :)

IMAdreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

i can relate! i miss the days when my siblings weren't always so temper-happy. i miss when i was little and everything was sooooo much easier. when i was alowed to climb trees, etc. but eventually you have to get on with life and stop dwelling on what's gone or you wear away until all you are left with is the desire for your past. past is past and must be left there!

ps. will you please check out my work????????

hippiechick99 replied...

Exactly, I'm only thirteen, but I realize so so much of the things I do mean absolutly nothing to anyone. I figure... why do things that won't matter in three days, much less thirty years? Okay, I'll stop rambling now :P

p.s. Of course I will, favors are meant to be returned :)))))

torilutz8 said...
Rather dark way to think of birthday. Don't think of days and minutes slipping by, every time you think about the limited seconds you have is a second wasted.

hippiechick99 replied...
I know...I don't really think like this, I just got to thinking about how time is going by so quickly for me now... anyway, thanks for reading :)

Joshua. said...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:59 am
Its a gift to have a real awareness of time and life. And at 13! Good for you. Keep it up!

hippiechick99 replied...
Yeah...my mom thinks it's freaky how mature my writing is, but it's just what comes naturally.

Simply Ciara said...
Very well written and nice use of imagery. Rated it 5 stars

hippiechick99 replied...
Thank you, I appretiate the feedback.