Change | Teen Ink

Change

March 15, 2012
By Anonymous

Why have we changed so much that we can’t even talk to each other (but we can talk about each other)?
We used to be best friends, but now we’re more like frenemies.

Have we changed our lives or have we let life change us?
So alike yet so different, we hate less about each other than we love about each other.
Why can’t we show that part of us, instead of the bitter side?
Why is change always bad, why can’t it be good for a chance?
Just once, I wish we could go back to the way we used to be, back when we enjoyed each other’s company.

You’re not the only one who’s changed, I’ve changed too the only difference is I’m trying to make things right.
I’ve let life turn me into a person that I always promised myself that I would never be… a selfish, untruthful and rude person.
We’ve known each other from the beginning, how could this be happening now, just when I started needing you in my life?
The pause, the pause in our lives where we didn’t see each other as much and just couldn’t balance each other out anymore.
We couldn’t be there for each other, which meant we couldn’t give the support we both needed, then we eventually grew out of the care for each other.
You were the one that had always stood up for me, when you left me there alone I had to fend for myself or I would feel how you do when you cry.
Until the next time I saw you again I just thought that you left me, but never did I think that you left yourself.
Then when I did see you again, we hung out and broke rules just like we did when we were younger, but something was different between us.
We felt just like kids in a candy store with a sugar rush, well that is what happens when 2 troublemakers meet up.
But what major thing in our lives made this all change?
Even when we were hangin’ out a couple Halloweens after that, we both matured (Some more than others) you were that great person that I enjoyed to be around.
We just weren’t like that in public, like we were embarrassed of each other.
I’ve noticed something now we are totally different people when we’re with our so-called “friends”.
Life can truly change a person . . .

The author's comments:
The thing that inspired me to write this was that a male friend that used to be my best friend. We used to be different when we were younger but those were simpler times than now.