Setting Sun | Teen Ink

Setting Sun

March 18, 2012
By MichelMan SILVER, Decorah, Iowa
MichelMan SILVER, Decorah, Iowa
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Live for Yourself.


"one fine day thats sweet as flowers,
losing track of all the hours,
a day of joy and festive fun,
and sadness under a setting sun.
we reminisce the times we had,
and try to keep from getting sad.
we end our day under a starry sky,
and always dreading the final goodbye.
not seeing you daily makes me number,
a sad dreadful way to end my summer.

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece last summer, 2011, for my Brother Ian, who is 5 years older than me, and my two directors of the production of the Wizard of Oz i was in as the Tin Man. I wrote it about the sad goodbye at the cast party after the shows because Hailey, the director, had to go back to her home in Minnesota, Carl, the Music director and accompanist was moving out of state to pursue his doctorate degree for music, and my brother had to go back to college. Although it was for all three, I dedicated it in my mind most to my brother, of which my prior relations in life haven't been the best. Having four older brothers, tension in my home was always high growing up, so spending alot of one on one time with him in the few weeks he was home bonded us together stronger than ever. He realized how much he missed me and our family while he was away, how he had treated me badly before and felt bad about it, how he hadn't been the best brother over all to me. He told me he loved me for the first time in my life that night and gave me my first hug ever from him. Little as it may seem, that night was monumental for me, and our bond continues to grow. I could never express how important my family has become to me, so here is to you, the reader. Value the good, forget the bad, and move past the problems. Its not worth conflict. It being everything.