Shadow Aspect

Sleep drags me, yet again,
Into the deepest trench of my being
Thrown once more into the nightmare
Sanity preyed upon by my deepest nature

A grotesque vision of my deeper self
Deformed, mutilated, all that I despise
Projected within the monster I have created
A wretched product of the imagination

Indescribable terror has overtaken me
I fight with all my being to escape
To turn my eyes away from the monstrosity
Yet nothing can save me from the truth

I am frozen, paralyzed, rendered helpless
As my own malevolence closes in
All logic and reason shattered within the plane,
Yet dare I question reality?

Inches away from annihilation
The best makes his final attack
The last image, my own distorted face
Reflected in its bloody, flaming eyes…

“Good morning, it is now 7:00. This is your host John Smith on Local KRST 95.1.”

AnthonyDavidHall said...
I think you have real potential. A few more years of refining and you'll be an astounding poet.

Ariya said...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm:
I like how you describe the evil "deeper self" with words like "mutilated" it instilled the poem with great imagry and emotion.

dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This is incredible. You're a very talented poet...

Seriously, though, this was beautiful. My favorite line was "Sanity preyed upon by my deepest nature", but the ending...wow. It was absolute perfection - a really powerful way to end it.

I can't offer an advice, as there's not a thing I would change. Well done

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
WOW!! jus WOW- this was really good i'm jealious its amazing. that last line: perfect. i added this to my favorites

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This poem really draws one in, and the ending is actually so disturbing. I really liked that about it. I also loved the way that it makes it hard to tell what is real and what is the dream. And your diction is superb! It's a wonderful poem.

J-Nav said...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 1:06 am:

hey!

absolutely beautiful. i love the way you have given a detailed descripton , such that, i can actually picture the whole poem in my head .  "I am frozen, paralyzed, rendered helpless" , sometimes i feel like that too. amazing piece and keep writing :)

eternal_sunshine said...
I really like this one. It was very vividly detailed, and it took me back to nightmares that I had had. I especially liked the line, "Sanity preyed upon by my deepest nature." Flowed really well, and the ending was awesome. Nice job

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:51 am:
Cool~ Typical nightmare described so vividly. So in the nightmare, you were your own monster? Like the ending---the abrupt awakening of the speaker.

loveissmiles replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:44 am :

This is beautiful!!!!! Morbid, but beautiful! I loved the lines, "A grotesque vision of my deeper self
Deformed, mutilated, all that I despise" But i have to know, is it supposed to be beast instrad of best in the line, "The best makes his final attack" If not im a little confused. But if it is i totally understand. Reguarless i Totally love this.

If you could please comment on my new piece, "Tribute to his singing heart." it would make me really happy. :)