To Being Young

Tonight, we are young
So let’s cry our hearts out
over things we’ll soon forget
Let’s lose ourselves
and paint memories smeared with regret
Let’s bruise ourselves
pushed by insecurities and self loathing
Let’s feel our faith dwindling
as we become “appropriate audiences” to things which shock us
Let’s cry our hearts out,
because we’re not immune to it yet
And let’s pray to the Gods we question
that someone, somewhere out there
feels the way we do

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:45 am:
You did fantastic at describing what many people feel, and most the time they feel alone!  Keep writing!!! :D

saryachan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:12 am:
This reminds me of every other older person who tells us to enjoy our youth. I constantly wonder if I'm the only one who feels confused, scared, or alone. This poem makes me see that I'm not the only one, and for that, I thank you. 

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm :
That is exactly what I was going for. I am so glad you connected with it. Thank you for reading and commenting

koolkat101love said...
This poem is perfect and basically says what being a teenager is about. We are supposed to make mistakes and this is the time to figure out he we are by trying new things and making these mistakes.

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm :
Thanks! :)

J-Nav said...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 12:52 am:

hey!

amazing piece! i love the way it flows and i absolutely adore the phrase 'paint memories' . great work and keep writing! :)

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:45 am :
Thank you! :)

AgentOrange789 said...
I really like this. Were you trying to rhyme "forget" with "regret"? Because I feel like it somehow works nicely against the free-verse in the rest of the poem.

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:47 am :

Yeah I think I did that to make sure it flowed well.

Thank you for your comment :)

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome---I felt that in any moment the poem would break into song. This could be a great intro for a song. It made me wanna be a teen forever---you've described a period of life that holds such memories:)

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm :
Wow thank you! I appreciate it :)

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:21 am:

This was very interesting. I loved your message and it was clearly protrayed. In the begining you had this very nice flow going on, yet you kind of lost it as you progressed. Also I wasn't sure about the use of "let's cry our hearts out" the 2nd time around. I think a fresh idea was have worked better there.

Besides those little think I thought this was really good. 

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:43 am :
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

loveissmilesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:41 am :

This is really good, and i just wanted to say thanks for joining, and being so active as a new member!!! I love seeing new people on here!

Anyhoo:), i really like this, but i wish you would have shortened the really long line. Im not saying to rewrite, simply break it up. Other than that i absolutely adore this. It was beautifully written, and i love reading and writing free verse. If you want to feel free to check out some more of my work. "Tribute to his singing he... (more »)

eternal_sunshine replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:49 am :
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I agree with your critique, I struggled with that long line. Thank you so much :)