A Poem from Planet Mars

Upon the pages none have read
We danced as children with their toys
No red horizon to border our boundless fields
Which would become the unpublished chapter

Gradually the wind began its murmur
Slipping its message to the dogs
They begin to growl, snap at the outsiders
A tremulous chord swelling within the cavity

What then, when the fire, sword, and axe
Pave a way for the rising behemoth
The gallant roar of the gong, waves came crashing down
The last words of an infinite epilogue

After our vitality is stolen
And the dream we knew so well lay
Shattered like glass upon the floor
We sit, the two of us, you and I

And think of endless things, and distant stars
And ponder this winding river of ours…

Thus concludes this poem from planet Mars.

iCheeto This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is incredible.   It's different from anything I have read in a long time, and I can almost see the planet in your mind that you're writing from.  Awesome job, it's so creative.

dreamshaker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your poems continue to amaze me.

This was really impressive. The diction was impeccable - everything about the poem was impeccable, actually, but the words you chose were just absolutely perfect.  I'm not even sure I can pick a favorite line, this was so lovely, but I think the most powerful part (for me, anyways) was "and the dream we knew so well lay/shattered like glass upon the floor/we sit, the two of us, you and I/and think of endless things, and distant stars"

A... (more »)

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
wow! im not quite sure why but i really like this poem. i know part of it is your diction and that last stanza before the single verses, but what got me to read over it a second time and think of it so deeply i can't putter my finger on. i love that feeling-the feeling of just liking something. Great Job! :)

Potterlover929 said...
I really liked this poem..... your last part was my favorite. 

loveissmiles replied...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:05 am
honestly i can NOT explain how much i love this poem. I love the word choice and usage. You have an immense amount of talent. Keep writing, and feel free to give me feedback at anytime, you're an incredible author, and i value your opinion.