Beautiful Devotion | Teen Ink

Beautiful Devotion

February 22, 2012
By Jacque Brown BRONZE, Tarrs, Pennsylvania
Jacque Brown BRONZE, Tarrs, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Soft murmurs, in a “mm-hmm” fashion always leaks from those pink lips.
Gardener hands rough from years of weeding never cease to amaze me;
Such a cook and so well a seamstress, you just might see her in that independent glory.
Never far the man of Grammy’s love—Henry, in his gentle demeanor.

Naturally a year-round woman, wearing pastel in the sun,
Sweaters in the chill. Never complaining—only adapting.
Plants sway towards her, always growing under those careful fingers—
Spices just adore her cooking flow, never seeming to twist the fragile balance.

Hair the shade of powdered sugar; eyes a creamy chocolate, gorgeous alone
But so stunning when harmonizing with that teasing, smiling pair of Pappy’s.
Grandmother of compassion that she is, her hugs are so pure and perfect.
Protective, well built, and never faulting—Grandfather of quiet power.
Together they are magical, all prevailing in their love.

Brave and willing, never seen being anything less than that. Hunter by heart,
Married to his Minnie, Grandfather Gowatski is the picture-perfect man.
Never blundering in the show of his love—always the first to protect his family.
True to the title of a ‘grand’ father; never smudges the vows said.

Together with devotion—beautiful in their love.

The author's comments:
This poem was first meant to be a class assignment, but after much thought I decided to make it into a surprise for my grandparents. It is written from my point of view about the love they share.