O, Mary, Mary. | Teen Ink

O, Mary, Mary.

January 28, 2012
By hanbanann4501 GOLD, Wakeman, Ohio
hanbanann4501 GOLD, Wakeman, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
laugh with friends, love with all of your heart and live life to the fullest. You never know when your first chance could be your last to make mistakes.


As she lies there with the tube fluctuating to and fro, here chest rising and falling so slowly and depressing in such a manner that they can't hardly take their eyes off of her. Looking up as the doctor comes in to talk to the family. Whispers echo throughout the room as they suggest to stop the treatment. He creepily walks back into the room to her bedside and without a word kisses her head while brushing her silver hair back from her face. Nothing but a blur can she see but she knows who it is that shows so much compassion for her pain. After a long illness that seemed to persist most of her life she finally felt as though somebody understands without so much as a gesture to let her go. Bending down to whisper in her ear he says, " Mary, I love you very much." " We're going to turn off your machines, you've fought through this for so long, it's time to let you rest now." Immediately she understands, for the first time in a long time she opens her eyes and looks at him. She knows she has given it her all and has nothing else to give. Just a wink is all that she could leave him with. Beeps fill the room, then silence. Nurses plunge to her side to remove the tubes that have kept her alive for so long. Her chest rises and falls, her muscles strain for air. She's breathing on her own and her own strength cannot hold out for long. As her breathes seems to get shorter, slower and more quiet; he sits beside her, holding her hand. 46 years could not have seemed so short. The rings on her finger still glistened in the little bit of light the room had left to offer. Her chest rose and fell, but never rose again. One last time does he brush the hair from her forehead and kiss her on the head, then the lips. Holding back the tears that swelled up in his eyes so. He speaks, " Mary Mary, quite contrary, you left me here alone."

The author's comments:
My grandmother, Mary Louise Harrison was one of my heroes. She gave everything she could to her family and enveloped her life dedicated to taking care of her loved ones. Nothing else mattered to her more than her family. She was the closest thing to a saint that I had ever had the honor to knowing. She and her husband were married for 46 years; this love that they shared was the most true and undying love. More than you could read in books. No other love could ever exist in this world more than theirs did. She is solely loved and missed by so many people that it almost seems unfair to let her go at all. But she needed to rest, and that rest will last forever. But their love for one- another will last for eternity. Rest In Peace, Mary Louise Harrison, and always know that we love you.