Lighthouse

Beckoned here, once again, to the place I hate; to the place I fear;
to the place where I know I can never truly feel at home... I lay in the sand, pondering.
In reality, I’m friends with many residents here, but when I complain they don’t understand; they don’t know what has happened.
They urge, “Try it out, you’ll never know unless you try.” But, I’ve “tried it out”. The place I hate, the place I fear...
I was cast off first, to be honest. This place does not recognize me as one who belongs.
And the residents I see around me... easily got accustomed to the land.
But you see, they were invited while over and over again I found myself exiled,
not allowed to reside in the place that I secretly always wanted to live in.
How stupid. I return knowing acceptance is unlikely.
However, this time... A lighthouse drew me in.
Brilliant to me. Yet, the actual residents do not notice it. That’s fine. More for me.
...Oh but wait... I can’t stay here. I mean, it just never works that way.
And that lighthouse is so large, overwhelmingly better than I am.
As it peers over the land, how could it possibly notice me?
me, the lone pebble among the stunning sea glass...
They urge, “Try it out, you’ll never know unless you try.” Oh but I know. I know oh so well.
It just doesn’t happen for me. But for some reason I seem to have hope. Hope that that lighthouse,
and I, although it’s stranger to me and I to it, can make this land our home.
I do not truly understand why I came back knowing I can’t handle the expected consequences of returning,
But should I believe? in love? And tell me, do you believe in love at first sight?

Just_Jill said...
I loved the metaphor you used, extremely unique, and so therefore, in my opinion, that much better. I definitely enjoyed reading it, even if the format messed up a bit, it was still very good. :)

babyrex4 said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:27 am
Wow, this poem is really good, whether the format is messed up or not! Who would ever think of a lighthouse relating to their crush! That is amazing how you did it and it is so creative! Please keep writing, never stop, as you really do have a special talent! If you don't mind, can you please check out some of my poems? From a great poet like you I would like some feedback!

laurensoccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is amazing!!!! The extended metaphor is so creative and beautiful. I love how you use such a relaxed, beautiful beach as your setting. It makes the poem relatable. I like how you were a pebble ,and he was a lighthouse. Both work together really well. I also like how the sand says to try love. Keep writing. I would really appreciate it if you could check out and comment on some of my work.

tealbird said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:19 am
I understand your frustration with the loss of format on teenink...been there, done that. It almost loses it's luster when you don't have that emphasis on certain statements, doesn't it? Anyways...I was impressed, regardless of how it turned out. Very deep. Very good.

daph199 said...
UGH. okay before reading this, please realize that the format i put the original poem in did not look like this.... for some reason it's so unorganized and hard to read and im really upset.... ugh