The Daydream

I stretch out my wings,
Flap, and you're gone,
An inconspicuous speck
Growing smaller below me.
Up here, you cannot hurt me.
Up here, I am strong.
Up here is my safe place
Where I am an eagle
Until reality brings me tumbling home.

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is exactly how I feel just about every day. "Reality brings me tumbling home"—beautiful. Too, I must day you have some Emily Dickson in you and your poetry. 

EPluribusUnum This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! You have no idea how much that means to me! I love Emily Dickinson, and indeed I believe this poem was inspired by her. I'm not positive, but I know I've taken inspiration from her before. She had a truely magical way with words.

SaphiraBrightscales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"Tumbling home" = super. This one is so simple yet so powerful.... I read this one thrice :D

This is from when I first started writing poetry seriously and it remains one of my favorites. I'm really glad you like it! :D

SaphiraBrightscales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:32 am
Well, I sure do.

thatunknownthing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:10 am
haha. *write, is what i meant.

Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:09 am
now i'm going to read everything you right. beautiful!

Thank you so much! :D That really means a lot to me :333333333333 You have no idea how happy that made me!

Josika.Nav said...
Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:11 am

hey!

beautiful poem! it flows really well. most of all i love its title. great work and keep writing XD!

Thanks! :D

FluteFreak said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:52 am
This is an awesome poem; I almost felt like I was flying while reading it. Although I do agree with snaomi about "up here is my safe place" it does throw the poem off a bit. Mayberry moving Otto directly after "growing smaller below me"?

Thank you for commenting, I always appreciate it when people give me suggestions about my writing. And that line's been bugging me a bit to. Of course, I only noticed the problem once it got posted-figures :)

gossimergrrl said...
I get really strong, really free feeling from this. Uplifting!

Yay! Thanks!

babyrex4 said...
I think the whole poem was great! It made me feel like I was in the daydream!

Thanks. That's the great thing about daydreams, they take you places you could never go otherwise.

EPluribusUnum This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:04 am
Thank you :)

Kimberlywrites said...
I love the first three lines. They are beautiful!

EthanCalhoun replied...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:12 am
I agree with Kimberly but the last 3 lines i think are very good

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this poem - it has some great images and emotion behind it. The only line I didn't feel like was quite as strong as the others is "up here is my safe place" - the passive verb makes it somewhat less aggressive than the rest. What do you think of going straight from "up here, I am strong" to "Up here I am an eagle"? Nice work!