From Off the floor

We all bled last night
Over paper anchors
Holding us back from nothing,
And phony stop signs
Telling us all to pass go.
In the end our wretched captain
Declares himself righteous
As the widow of all things
Swallows my empty half
And brutally declares me whole.
And in the days of those kings
We spilled underneath the priest
Who showed us all how
To throw gasoline on a fire.
And though the widow
Long ago spit me out
Today I still find myself
Trying to climb out
Of her wretched insides.

timevampire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm:
I love the rusty feeling the words have, the dusty feeling the words have. Like you found them on some old Latin scroll, and translated it into skin, the place between song and speech.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm :
..and so timevampire proceeded to take the words he had used to comment on boos' article and he formed them into a poem because...well, he's just that good. I do apologize for the lack of italics. Your represence is infinitely inspiring.

savetheplanet said...
Wow Boosflash, that's so deep... I can't say that I understood all of it, no one ever does. That's why it's poetry and not prose. Since it can mean so many things no one but author truly knows what everything means. But from what I understood and what I guess the rest to mean, this is an amazing poem. I loved what you said about the widow swallowing the empty half and declaring you whole, it was so symbolic. Keep writing!

Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm :
Thanks! I wrote this when I was really mad and this is actually a figurative poetic version of the story. The widow is my mom, the captain is my old friend and the priest I her husband. I could. Elaborate if u like. Thanks so much for commentating.

savetheplanet replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm :
See, I wouldn't have made the personal connections to you, but that's what makes the poem so great. That your metaphors emotional intent can still be applied to other people.

Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm :
Thanx! I'm kinda lost on the last part thoe. What do u mean "still be applied"?

savetheplanet replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm :
Like the widow could represent someone in my life but not necessarily my mother.

Jan. 21, 2012 at 8:16 am :
Ohhhhhh, right. Thanks again for commentating

Aderes47 said...
This poem makes me think of many things but I don't get the point. :( Sorry! :(

Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm :
Thanks for the "comment" but saying u don't get it isn't much of a comment. I'm not posting these poems just so u can understand them so u can stop saying that.

timevampire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm :
Don't try so hard to understand. Just listen to the music.