The Side of the Road | Teen Ink

The Side of the Road

By Michael Grzenda BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Michael Grzenda BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey

I lean against the car door staring wistfully out the window.

In a way I’m putting a lot of trust in that door,

I mean here I am in a metal death trap and the only thing keeping me in my soft and cushy bubble of air conditioned bliss is one little latch,

Oh what a fool I was…

If you haven’t guessed by now, the latched breaks,

And it’s not that I’m falling that surprises me the most, it’s the broken trust.

I go from a universe where the world moves around me, to suddenly moving very quickly through the world,

And as I fall I look back to see my seatbelt, unused, neatly rolled, and deprived of purpose.

It has that look of disappointment that all seatbelts must feel, watching their precious cargo torn away from them,

As if to say “What a shame”,

And here I am still falling.

Then I hit,

And then I roll,

And then I stop…

Lying perfectly still on the side of the road, I feel the gentle warmth that the road absorbed from the sun throughout the day and a slight breeze makes the tips of my hair sway ever so slightly,

I think to myself “once I get up, this is going to hurt”, and seeing as my ride just drove off into the distance, there is going to be a long walk in my future.

But for now, I don’t hurt,

And I don’t move,

And I realize that I could just lie here, and keep on lying here, for the rest of eternity really and that pain would never have to come,

And that walk would never come,

And really it’s not so bad here,

But then I remember, nothing much happens on the side of the road,

And suddenly I’m moving again.