Who I Am

I’m sixteen.
That’s far too young.
Who were you at this age?

My name is Nicole.
Female, Caucasian, about 5’4.
I love Oreos
And green Jell-O.
Not together, but still.

I’m smart but naïve,
Stubborn but docile,
Ready but scared.
Confusing, but you understand.
Right?

Write.
Writer. Maybe.
I love the feeling of pen on paper,
The click of the keyboard,
The satisfaction in that last, perfect word.

Or maybe
I’ll do something more practical.
Plausible.
I’ll be a guidance counselor.
Tell me your problems so I can write them into your college recommendation letter.
It’s possible.

I’m sixteen.
That’s sixteen years young.
I don’t know who I am
Or who I will be,
Or even who I have been,
If you want me to be really honest.
They tell me that that’s okay.
Who’s “they?”
I’m not really sure.
But they just might be onto something.

...PensiveGurl... said...
Very clever and well written. I really liked how it was set up and how easily the words flowed! Very nice job!!!! =D

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:39 pm :
thanks! :) glad you enjoyed itt

Falling.Up.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm :
this was so good! i feel like a noob on poetry compared to yours!! it seems hyper and fun but it gets the meaning across!

Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:11 pm :
hehe thankss :) it was for an assignment I had to do for english. im not a big poet eitherr

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:27 am:
Your piece feels like the reader is peering into your own brain...something personal---your thoughts and how you think of your future. It took on a different perspective~ I really liked reading it.

Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:00 am :
Thank youu!

JerseyGirl716 said...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:30 am:
WOW. I absolutely love this! Your perspective and flow is really refreshing. I especially love the last few lines about "they"; your perspective is really refreshing! Overall you did an awesome job with this, especially since it's an English class assignment :)

JerseyGirl716 replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:37 am :
Whoops, I pretty much just said the same thing twice, didn't I? Anyway, it was a great poem :) 5/5!

Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm :
hehe thats okk im glad you liked it :) thanks so muchh

poetofdarkness replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm :
I love your work it reminds me of myself in so many ways very well done

Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:38 am :
lol is green jell-o your favorite too? Thanks for readingg I really appreciate it :)

poetofdarkness replied...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:56 am :
Lol. Ur welcome hey do u mind reading some of my other articles

KatarinakitkatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm :
I have to say; I really, really like this poem. The idea for it was really different, but it came out perfectly by my opinion. The last stanza is my favorite because of how you wrote it. When you talked about being Sixteen years young, it had a really neat effect on the poem itself. Usually, when someone talks about themselves, or writes about themselves, they usually will either point out the flaws, or draw attention to their skills. You did neither with this poem which is what made it very un... (more »)

Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm :
aww thanks :D im so glad you got what I was going forr