The Raven

I was sitting alone in the woods
When a raven came and sat beside me,
The dark color of his little body reminded me of my present state,
It's beady eyes reminded me of all the evil things.
It didn't speak, it didn't even 'sing,'
It only sat there on the bench beside me,
That didn't matter, I welcomed any solace it would bring-
I started examining the bird some more,
It's beak so tiny but yet it sung so loudly,
I also noticed its feet; all bent out of proportion and quite gross-
But it managed to stand anyway, supporting himself.
If a bird like him 'dark and gloomy' could stand so proud
How much more could I?
Despite my issues why can't I stand strong?
But I can!
So rising on my feeble legs I stood to my struggles-
Encouraged by the little black bird,
Feeling triumphant I turned-
But I couldn't find my recent companion,
Then I heard a 'coo' above my head,
It's like he was telling me to 'spread my wings'
And that I could sing too!-I could be free!
So I did exactly as he suggested to me.
That was the day the raven came and counseled me.

jasmin101 said...
Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:08 am
i think rhyming is important. but its good i like it. i am from syria and poetry is important in arabic litrature. long ago people talked poetry like, rhyming every scentence . so i think it is never a problem when u do it a lot.( get on chat)

scenesoccerqueen replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:26 am
actually this is one of my rare non-rhyming poems...i thought id try something different but i agree rhyming is important and interesting. thats awesome, about syria and all!

Snowi said...
AMAZING lol, no but seriously it is

scenesoccerqueen replied...
Thank you snowi!

JaneCapelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like your poem, but you could make it sooo much better if you made it rhyme. However, it's still very good, i like the idea and the inspiration...it's got a good message too. =)

scenesoccerqueen replied...
Thank you, and actually I wrote this the other day purposely to 'break' away from the rhymes because I'd gotten comments that I rhyme too much...but I do agree because I love to rhyme!

JaneCapelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
What?! There's no such thing as rhyming too much! If rhyming is your style of writing, then it's not too much. So i disagree with those people...rhyme all you want! Rhyming gives poems flow and stuff, keeps the reader engaged...tho some poems aren't meant for rhyming...i'll stop my rant now...

scenesoccerqueen replied...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 9:48 am
true story! Ill definitely take your word, cause quit frankly i miss rhyming! Thanks!