Peter Pan | Teen Ink

Peter Pan

December 20, 2011
By Wintergrl7 GOLD, Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Wintergrl7 GOLD, Hopkinton, Massachusetts
19 articles 3 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
—William Arthur Ward
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
—Daniel J. Boorstin


Most children hide from the Darkness. It is a place that holds monsters and villains, bad dreams. But he shies away from the Light. Unwilling to grow up, ignorant and immature, his life is hidden behind a vale of black. Feelings are foreign to him and emotions make you weak. Adventure and the adrenaline that accompanies it is the only thing that makes him feel. Death is considered the biggest adventure of all, and he would gratefully choose that instead of growing up.
To grow up would mean to give up on life itself, forget fun and excitement. It would mean working in a cage all day, going home to sleep a few measly hours before starting the cycle all over again.
No, to grow up would be a fate worse than death. And so the child afraid of the Light emerges only with the accompaniment of Darkness, to hide from all, be seen by none.
And so that shall remain. Never will the child grow old, never will he be forced to life out his miserable life. No, instead he lives in a world full of muted feelings and dazed expressions. And so it shall remain, forever and all eternity.


The author's comments:
I have always loved the story of Peter Pan, but as I got older i began to question it. Who is Peter Pan? Does he truly fear growing up, or something more than that? And, most importantly, does it not sum up all existence?