"Eyes"

Every where I go,
I'm looking out for eyes
Dark eyes
Light eyes
Ever-changing-color eyes
look-for-them-in-hallways eyes
Eyes I've come to know.

Every time I sleep,
I end up dreaming of eyes
Blue eyes
Brown eyes
Slowly-turning-green eyes
Holding-close-my-gaze eyes
Eyes I want to keep.

Every time I'm sad,
I stare into those eyes
Gentle eyes
Kind eyes
Telling me "Be calm" eyes
"I know you'll be OK" eyes
Eyes that make me glad

Even just the thought of eyes
Can be the big difference
The difference between
Depression and joy
Anger and calm]fear and security
being lonely or loved

If I could just glimpse those eyes,
I know I'll be OK.
If I can just see those eyes,
I'll make it through the day.

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:20 am
interesting fixation in this poem. Looking out for eyes is a funny thought, and a good way to begin a poem. I might recommend my short piece Her Eyes for similarity in subject.

AngelsLullaby replied...
I really like this poem. Your view point is really magnificent. What inspired you to write this?

O R. replied...
This poem actually has some deep personal meaning for me. When I walk through the hallways at school, I always look out for my two best friends who are always there for me. Both of their eyes are really intricate colorwise. One has eyes that change from bright blue, to pale grey; the other has eyes that have been every eye color. Every stanza has some story behind it, too. The first stanza mentions both friends (light eyes/ dark eyes/ eyes I've come to know.) And that they are new friends to m... (more »)

Wildflower30 said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:26 am
Amazing! The flow, the word play, the poetry with a modern touch... Love it! :)

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This should really be in the magazine. I can't believe this only has 1 comment so far! Such a shame how some of the most amazing poetry on here never gets noticed...

Studio_Ghibli-O replied...
Aww, thanks Hanging_Girl! I appreciate your complements.

JerseyGirl716 replied...
I couldn't agree more, it's amazing! Great, great job, definitely magazine-worthy!!!

MiraStorm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this poem makes me smile! i love it. so personal.