I love you, too.

At the edge of the hospital bed
I feel a thousand miles away.
Can he hear me?
I hope he can hear me.
My heart ushers his eyes to open
Only to find stillness in return.
I want to paint his face
Put the color back in his once rosy cheeks.
Just yesterday that smile lit up the room.
Now the beep of his heart rate reminds me
To breath
To touch
To feel
I want to break the monitor.
Put a miracle in the rhythm
Of a heart that fails to keep beating.
The wires all over are holding him here
Giving me one last chance
To say goodbye.
If he can even hear me.
I pray to God he can hear me.
I find his hand under the sheets
I hold onto it for dear life.
My heart aches to feel the warmth
To feel the life that loved to live
To hear his laughter once again
And put it in my dreams for safe keeping.
Daddies are supposed to laugh.
Why can't I hear him one more time?
The memories stay as his soul leaves
I say the last words I want him to hear
Can he hear me?
I pray to God he can hear me.
His voice echoes in my head
"I love you, too."

alligator6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you all for replying on my poem. It means the WORLD to me. Thank you so much.

Sarakins said...
This is wonderful. I understand every heartbeat of it. My cousin died not even a year ago and this poem tuggs at those emotions. Very well done :)

alligator6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm :
thank you :) i'm sorry to hear about your cousin. I love how poetry can bring so many people together

hotshot said...
you really caught my attention with this. you caught me and sent me through memories i once had to dwell over. no matter what you do keep this up. because your very good at this

Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm :
thanks so much :)

recurring_resilience said...
This has to be one of the saddest poems I've ever read.. I like how you portray things like "paint his rosey cheeks". Truly amazing.

Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm :
thank you. and thanks for replying

Charlotte_Ryu said...
You are a rare one. A TRUE poet.

Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm :
that means SO much to me. thank you

WolfofRoses said...
This was very emotional and heart filled. It actually earned a tear. Fantastic writing and keep up the good work.

Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm :
thank you. :)

cebomar9 said...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 9:15 am:
This is just powerful. Great Job

SN3RD said...
Depressing!!! I like it ;)

alicecullen said...
so beautiful. it made me want to cry. it made me realize that i should appreciate my father. thank you for this.

browneyez16 replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm :
I'm with alice...i almost cried too...I don't know my real father but I appreciate my uncle who might as well be.

Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm :
thank you both :)

xXYourxRainXx said...
Wow this is incredible, my friend's dad just recently passed away as well...wow...

Selustin_Gieber said...
WONDERIFIC>... that was just amazing... I was i could write like that.

EmmettLaFave said...
This was incredible. I'm terrible at poetry, and so it alwayds amazes me at how people can pull it off, but this was exceptional. Very well done. Totally emotional and believable.

Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:51 pm :
thank you :) it's believable because it's 100% true.