Louder than a shout | Teen Ink

Louder than a shout

December 31, 2011
By butnowamfound BRONZE, Richardson, Texas
butnowamfound BRONZE, Richardson, Texas
4 articles 1 photo 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Psalm 73:24-26
Your wisdom will be my guide, and later you will put me in a place of honour. Whom have I in heaven but you? and having you I have no desire for anything on earth. My flesh and my heart are wasting away: but God is the Rock of my heart and my eternal heritage.

Romans 10:14-15
But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? ....That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”


She stood, still as a statue,
Tears dripping down her face.
I sat, wriggling,
In the throes of deciding my next minute's fate.
They crouched, a bitter, mocking, circle
Tight around her, their loud laughter echoing off the metal walls.
"Ha Ha". It is the laughter of hyenas, clanging in my ears.
They sway with their laughter, sway like snakes,
Hypnotizing with bitter, charming eyes.
She sits, she shakes, heaving, throbbing,
There is something in her eyes besides diamonds.
I stand, very still, breathless, achy,
Tears dripping down my face.
I move, I walk, I scream, the world watches without emotion.
It does not care. It does not hear, no matter how loud my voice,
People everywhere still feel hurt.
They argue with me, they mock me they keep her fast within their evil circle.
While they talk she runs away, not looking back.
She is gone. She does not come back.
I have no more energy.
I fall, and for a moment I do not rise.


The author's comments:
My poem came from a day when I was tired of being the girl who always stood up and stood out. I had fallen and been ridiculed one too many times for the moment, and I felt overwhelmed. The poem that was the result of this moment was a physical story I was picturing while I was mentally debating to myself whether shouting where my voice would not be heard would really do anything other than strain my vocal chords. This is something I struggle with, but the answer I get is always a resounding YES! Standing up for others is part of who I am, and just as badly as I needed someone to stand with the day I wrote the poem, so many people everyday need someone to stand with them. I can be that someone.I can be a shoulder to lean on. I want people to realize it is okay to struggle, and that they can make a difference, even if it seems minute, by standing up for one person at a time.