REM Sleep This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You can dream more.

The earth balances precariously, but in your
soft moments of slumber,
the world is yours.

Explore.
fine poppy seeds fall
slowly down
the curtain of your eyelids,
collecting in the corners.

A bug flies in to say hello.

And you keep
running. in this dream
it's barefoot, the rocks of the earth slicing into your toes and yet
It feels so good.
The dream switches and now you feel
fake grass and
suddenly you are in
a stadium with
the lights shining directly on you.
The crowd chants, the light grows brighter, the pressure is exploding your esophagus
blocking your nostrils with harsh fumes
lungs fighting for breath turning blue gasping gasping gasping –

and my bed is covered in sweat. and my eyes cast open,
and I'm wearing shoes.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
WHOA. Really cool. THe title totally attracted me and I absolutely lved this. YOu made the mood really readable (feelable) with intense imagery and really nice, hard diction. Really good job!!

Fonvizzle said...
This was very well written! :) You're welcome to look at one story I posted! Thanks! 

PhantomnWriter said...
Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:48 am:
I like it! A sleep walker! I am one and it is wierd waking up standing in the hallway or sleeping in a completely different place. This is most definetly positively magazine material! It wasn't too long or too short and I was interested the whole time. AND you and a few others know what REM sleep !!! 5/5/5!!!!!!! :D

LilyG This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm:
thank you so much all of you! thanks to you i got this poem published in the physical teenink magazine!:) <3

FrenchHippieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:35 am:
Keep up the good work and post some more stuff! You really have talent.

Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:34 am:
Beautiful! Imagery, word choice- everything. I loved the stream of consciousness feel that you almost get lost in and the abruptness at the end. Just like a dream.

Tralalaura said...
Omg! Amazing! I love it! 5/5 rating! You painted such a realistic picture, I could literally see the dream and the harsh awakening. Keep on writing!

otherpoetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Excellent poem! I completely forgot it was a dream, so your ending was like a literal wake-up call, thanks for writing!

youngspeare replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm :
Great poem. 5/5 stars for you! Keep posting! Please check out my poem "Ghosts of the Past" and RATE/COMMENT? I'd really appreciate it.

inside_wonders19 said...
this is just a beautiful piece. i could feel the excitement within me. please keep writing and check out my work?