What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

xxMissingyouxx said...
Nov. 22, 2009 at 10:31 am
wow i really relate..it's like you want to tell her, but your afraid of what her reaction will be. but trust me her reaction will make you fell secure. i did it and my mom might still be a little quezy over my secret but she realizes how much guts it took to tell her. Keep on writing, don't stop please!

starsonmysleeves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i disagree with your interpretation. to me, it sounds like she knows that her mother would accept the secret, but she'd rather have the little bit of beauty that comes with keeping a secret of her own.

Cierra S. said...
This poem really relates to me in verious ways because alot of the same apply to me

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:55 am
I really love this poem and it is def. worthy of being published! Great job! I look forward to reading more of your work! Please check out some of mine and let me know what you think! Thanks! And again, Great Job!!!!!

the comment said...
i get this
you did a good job on really elaborating on the subject.
this is a thing with a lot of kids
i know i struggle with what i tell my mom
i liked it

Ellen M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like the "shhh" for some reason. I love this poem because it's real and true.

project827 said...
its so true. and very nicely written.to thumbs up!

EleanorRigbysGospelofPeace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This is simply beautiful. It is incredibly descriptive and unique. Your writing definitely has its own voice, and I love it. Continue with the great work. You're destined for something great!

Avalynn said...
Wow, this is so amazing! It's unique and reflective- i love it!

Britt<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is such a great poem. Everyone can totally relate. Keep it up your awesome!

yoyoyo... said...
Omg i luv ur piece!
i can really relate to it and it is very discribing and interesting it makes me want to keep reading

Kitten111 said...
Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:34 am
this hit me ... i have lot of things i should tell my mum but i dont ..... mostly because its the way she treats me ... youve given me a idea though thanxs and keep up the awesome work

kaeny said...
This is beautiful, thank you.

Nicky_1 said...
Oct. 8, 2009 at 9:32 am
I really like this poem.It speaks true life in everyy verse.Keep them coming!!

stephaniekip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
awesome poem ! Keep up the great work!

Sara B. said...
Hahah, amazing, i loved it. Kepp writinggg :D

amrwrites said...
I would repeat what everyone said, but you probably already know how talented you are. But anyways, you're very talented. Haha. :)

Shante G. said...
really good :)

Jessica P. said...
I love it. =)

Wow, this is beautiful. You never come outright and say what the secret is and you leave the reader begging in thougt's trance. I love it! Please check out some of my poems and let me know what you think! Thanks! And again, your poem is phenomenal!

marinelareka.com said...
Jun. 19, 2009 at 6:17 am
Nicely written, I enjoyed reading it :)