What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

Claire_Milan said...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 11:41 am
Definitely agreeing with you 100%....Take it to the top.... Keep it up....

Like*Whoa!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love this beause i know exactly what the poem is saying, there a bzillion thousand things my mom doesnt know GREATGREATGREAT job :)
<3

pearl♥ said...
i never keep secrets from my moma :( mainly cuz i know she'll figure it out on her own someday.

Reader:) said...
this makes me sad for some reason.

MRS.ROCHE said...
i am the same way with my mother... if you have time please check out my poems

DiceBaby said...
Nov. 29, 2009 at 12:31 am
This poem was really great and it really descibed exactly how i feel everyday. this poem really spoke to me. Great job. an i loved the way referenced the aorta of the heart. that was really creative.

.xCutMyLifeIntoPiecesx. said...
This seriously made me shiver. I really love it because it's so true, and you express it so beautifully! Keep writing. :)

scarletP said...
i absoluty LOVE this poem...it reminds me so much of my relationship with my mother. great job:)

xxMissingyouxx said...
Nov. 22, 2009 at 10:31 am
wow i really relate..it's like you want to tell her, but your afraid of what her reaction will be. but trust me her reaction will make you fell secure. i did it and my mom might still be a little quezy over my secret but she realizes how much guts it took to tell her. Keep on writing, don't stop please!

starsonmysleeves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i disagree with your interpretation. to me, it sounds like she knows that her mother would accept the secret, but she'd rather have the little bit of beauty that comes with keeping a secret of her own.

Cierra S. said...
This poem really relates to me in verious ways because alot of the same apply to me

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:55 am
I really love this poem and it is def. worthy of being published! Great job! I look forward to reading more of your work! Please check out some of mine and let me know what you think! Thanks! And again, Great Job!!!!!

the comment said...
i get this
you did a good job on really elaborating on the subject.
this is a thing with a lot of kids
i know i struggle with what i tell my mom
i liked it

Ellen M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like the "shhh" for some reason. I love this poem because it's real and true.

project827 said...
its so true. and very nicely written.to thumbs up!

EleanorRigbysGospelofPeace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This is simply beautiful. It is incredibly descriptive and unique. Your writing definitely has its own voice, and I love it. Continue with the great work. You're destined for something great!

Avalynn said...
Wow, this is so amazing! It's unique and reflective- i love it!

Britt<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is such a great poem. Everyone can totally relate. Keep it up your awesome!

yoyoyo... said...
Omg i luv ur piece!
i can really relate to it and it is very discribing and interesting it makes me want to keep reading

Kitten111 said...
Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:34 am
this hit me ... i have lot of things i should tell my mum but i dont ..... mostly because its the way she treats me ... youve given me a idea though thanxs and keep up the awesome work