What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

KittyKat1201 said...
today at 6:19 pm
I love this~~

MysteriousEruditeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 16 at 11:17 am
Wait I read this already wasn't htis already top voted?

chsongbird said...
Jun. 11 at 9:53 am
This poem really got to me. So beautiful and so honest. Amazing.

YoelaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 28 at 8:55 pm
This is really beautiful.

13stars said...
Apr. 28 at 10:20 am
Great work, it really touches my heart that you so fully grasp this concept and were able to put it out there so refined. Really speaks to me, my heart, and my soul!

WhiteHairedKid said...
Apr. 6 at 9:26 am
You Got talent you should go to a poet contest :P

Yeabsera said...
I totally understand this, I wrote something similar to it. Great job. :)

NandiniKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 21, 2015 at 8:57 am
This is really awesome!

maggiefegenbush said...
this is so amazing

Ahutijgoyal said...
I can relate to this poem so well. Its amazing just so pure and simple. Great work!

Storm3 said...
It's simple and beautiful. I think everyone needs there secrets, I also think that for each secret comes a time for it to be told. When the burden of it becomes too much it's easy to tell. And most mothers are the person waiting patiently to help. They wait until we can't hold it in anymore and they help us shoulder the weight until the weight is gone. I really like this piece.

Anna_Sharuda This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can totally relate to this poem. It's extremely touching, simple, but strong at the same time. You did a great job :)

AkiraMizukiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved it...it was really amazing :)

wilds said...
Mar. 29, 2015 at 8:48 am
This is a really good poem. Most people could relate to it and it has alot of emotion keep it up. TeenInk.com/poetry/all/article/770241/Is-it-really/

SamanthaNZ said...
Mar. 29, 2015 at 7:59 am
This is stellar. I love poems about conflicted relationships with parents because I can relate to them so well. Very well done. If you can, check out some of my work, I have a few poems, a non-fiction piece, and a sci-fi piece. It would mean a lot to me if you checked them out and maybe commented.

andsoiwriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 29, 2015 at 1:22 am
i love the conflicted view of the poem. how everything can be all messed up but come together in the end, for better or worse, but in this case, better

joebro said...
wow this was really amazing I would love if you check out some of my work and tell me what you think of it

KatKat44 said...
Wow! I love this work! I love how even the intricate wording of each line, laces together like a doily. It's beautiful. Hey, I know that many people may be asking you this, but could you check out my poems, I have two entry's right now with three or four poems in each, could give me some pointers?

Thefanatasticagirlie101 said...
Jan. 22, 2015 at 10:56 am
Really deep work. Can you read my and tell me what I can improve on, rate/comment. you did really great, way better than anything I've written.

AmazinGraceyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 10, 2014 at 8:33 am
Very well written, I like the pace of this poem, nice job.