What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

Ahutijgoyal said...
today at 11:45 pm
I can relate to this poem so well. Its amazing just so pure and simple. Great work!

Storm3 said...
today at 1:24 pm
It's simple and beautiful. I think everyone needs there secrets, I also think that for each secret comes a time for it to be told. When the burden of it becomes too much it's easy to tell. And most mothers are the person waiting patiently to help. They wait until we can't hold it in anymore and they help us shoulder the weight until the weight is gone. I really like this piece.

Anna_SharudaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 20 at 4:54 pm
I can totally relate to this poem. It's extremely touching, simple, but strong at the same time. You did a great job :)

AkiraMizuki said...
Mar. 29 at 7:02 pm
I loved it...it was really amazing :)

wildsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 29 at 8:48 am
This is a really good poem. Most people could relate to it and it has alot of emotion keep it up. TeenInk.com/poetry/all/article/770241/Is-it-really/

SamanthaNZThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 29 at 7:59 am
This is stellar. I love poems about conflicted relationships with parents because I can relate to them so well. Very well done. If you can, check out some of my work, I have a few poems, a non-fiction piece, and a sci-fi piece. It would mean a lot to me if you checked them out and maybe commented.

andsoiwrite said...
Mar. 29 at 1:22 am
i love the conflicted view of the poem. how everything can be all messed up but come together in the end, for better or worse, but in this case, better

joebroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 13 at 1:36 pm
wow this was really amazing I would love if you check out some of my work and tell me what you think of it

KatKat44This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 22 at 12:57 pm
Wow! I love this work! I love how even the intricate wording of each line, laces together like a doily. It's beautiful. Hey, I know that many people may be asking you this, but could you check out my poems, I have two entry's right now with three or four poems in each, could give me some pointers?

Thefanatasticagirlie101 said...
Jan. 22 at 10:56 am
Really deep work. Can you read my and tell me what I can improve on, rate/comment. you did really great, way better than anything I've written.

AmazinGraceyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 10, 2014 at 8:33 am
Very well written, I like the pace of this poem, nice job.

edgarallanpoette said...
Sept. 10, 2014 at 1:47 am
I really loved the image you created with the puzzle pieces. Nice job!

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
loved this!

jettabugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this piece. This is a great output! This really touched me.

TickTockBANG said...
Nov. 3, 2012 at 11:46 am
"Because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?"   I just really like that line. This is really relatable and well-written--lovely job :D

Haseenarulz said...
Nov. 3, 2012 at 9:29 am
Woow a great output...... itz really heart touching....

The_Quiet_Girl said...
LOVE THIS!!!!! Phenomenal work! :)

The_Quiet_Girl replied...
Oh, and can you please check out some of my work? You don't have to, but I would really appreciate some ratings and/or comments. :) (Sorry for advertising)

AnnaRead This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
We all need our secrets, and we all keep them until our last breath, or not.

abbadoo said...
Sometimes mother knows best. And sometimes we write poems.