CDW... | Teen Ink

CDW...

December 1, 2011
By Anonymous

What is CDW, you might ask?
It stands for claim, data, and warrant.
It may seem complex now but I will break it down.

Claim is the first step that is anybody’s opinion about anything, not your peers or teachers.
Don’t be afraid that you’ll get your claim wrong because you can’t. Remember not to be lazy with the claim it should be as specific as it can be with using no more then two sentences.
Now you know what the “C” is, but you’ll need something to back it up.

Data will always need to be there in order to have a strong claim.
Having lots of data is the best because more people will believe your claim, but don’t overdo your data or the reader could forget all about the claim.
You should always state where the data came from. In example: a page number, a chapter in a movie, or a paragraph in a piece of writing.
Without the data your claim will look stupid, and so will you.

Warrant is used to top off your claim.
Two to three warrants need to be placed with each claim, which includes a statement of what the data says.
The definition of a warrant is personal ideas of why the claim was chosen.
These ideas will help peers to take part in the claim just like data, but warrants aren’t factual.

Now you know what CDW is so go try it out.
Claim Data and Warrant can be used in almost every type of writing.