Instructions for the Substitute Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You can do your Creative Writing during History,
your vocabulary during Creative Writing,
your Chemistry during English, and
your Algebra 2 as soon as you get it
(ignore the lesson and do the work).

Oh yeah, and don’t forget you promised
to write that next chapter for that friend
and proofread three pages for another,
edit and finalize this stack of papers for the one in North Carolina,
while doing that sketch for the one next door.

Even though you aren’t to use e-mail at school,
expect to come home to a full inbox,
as well as the private messages on three forums
and the TXTs on your poor, poor cell phone.

Wrap up today’s conversations using a variety of
phone calls on either the home phone or your cell
and those four instant messenger accounts you signed up for.

A few of the people you need to talk to are
a very freaked-out friend,
that person who was sick today,
your BFF who switched schools,
and probably one or two others as well.

To keep things quiet on the home front, make sure to
empty the dishwasher,
take out the trash,
move around the laundry,
clean your room,
and spend at least half an hour watching TV
(a.k.a. Family Time).

Oh, and when you get the chance,
update your website,
read a book or two,
do some free writing,
and, most important of all,
do your History homework,
because,
after all,
you can’t do that in class.

InkWriter13 said...
Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm:
This is an awesome poem! Quirky, witty, and relatable. I love how you tied the history back to the history at the beginning. A perfect ending. Great poem. Would you please comment on my poem titled Wizard of Words? I would love your perspective on it. :)

misswindsorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm:
Sounds like my life! This poem is funny and whimsical! I really enjoyed it!

msoccerm345 said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm:
okayy so what i got from this poem was that your really depressed and you basically want to give up and have someone else take your place because you have so much stress in your life

freeflow23 replied...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 5:24 pm :
yea either that or you're complaining about how "bad" your life is

JustAnotherOwlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm :
Or maybe it doesn't really have to be something so serious and it's actually just meant to be funny...

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really liked  this poem!! i love the way i can relate it so much to friends in my life!! great job!!

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 8:52 am:
i like this poem alot

KrystalTThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........i love it!

Eatfoodzap said...
This is a really cute little poem. I like how you blatantly outline all of the shortcuts and such of teenage life. Awesome! :D

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 4:12 am:
That was pretty funny! The meter could use some work, but I think that the "rules" of poetry are less important when the poem is written in a humorous tone. Great job!  

myworld10 said...
this is funny...lol.....like it. good job.

AsIAmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I usually don't like poems.... BUT YOUR'S ROCKS SOCKS!!!! I loved it!  Keep writing! ~AsIAm

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
what spurred this poem? afterall, you dont have any time ;) read some of mine?

the truth said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:29 am:
DUDE- that was an awesome poem! i've been flipping through all of these really bad cliche sappy poems and finally I found one that was great. don't stop writing.

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 9:18 am:
Very much liked it. Great job & quite an original idea!

love2run said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm:

This is so great! i can totally relate to this, but sometimes it is frustrating, eh?

hannahbee7 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm:
Wow you could be me! This sounds just like  me! I do all my homework in class. My friends don't really think I'm that great a writer but I'm working on it. And my friends call me all the time freaked out and it's maddening. Good luck, because of course we all really need it:] 

StarrlytThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 11:21 am:
I really like how you wrote this.  It is so relatable to teens everywhere.  Adults think we don't have responsibilities but we do; more than they could possibly imagine.  I found myself nodding in agreement to almost every line.  Been there, done that. lol. Doin it today, and i'll probably be doin that tomorrow. lol.

Helloitslexi said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm:
Awesome! I loved the format you used... Any tips for aspiring poets?

rinaAnne. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 11:57 am :
write about what you know, your experiences, and how you look at the world. Personal poetry is more powerful than technical and correct poetry.